Features of winter drinking bowls
Winter heated constructions
To provide rabbits in the cold season with fresh water, you can use several varieties of designs with heating:
- Drinking bowls with built-in thermostat. The most economical and easy to assemble. They allow to start water heating processes only in those cases when the temperature of the water in the tank drops.
- Structures that are heated by lamps. More complex in organization and require constant monitoring by rabbit breeders. Their plus is that they allow you to save energy.
- Drinking bowls that are fixed on heating surfaces working on the principle of "warm floor". They allow you to use any type of containers, can work on both electric and water heating systems. The disadvantage of such structures is that they have higher heat losses than the two previous types, and therefore from an economic point of view are considered ineffective.
The choice of this or that type of drinking bowls should be carried out by the rabbit breeder taking into account the number of herds, the organization of space in aviaries for rabbits and other nuances. So, if the herd is large, and the drinkers in the enclosures are organized near one surface, it is advisable to use a “warm floor” type system so that the rabbits do not get sick. If there are few rabbits and their cages are far apart, you can use lamps or individual heating.
All presented types of drinking bowls require special attention during operation by the rabbit breeder. He must ensure that the heating system works without interruptions, there is enough fluid in the water tank, and the drinking bowls from which the animals receive water are not clogged with food or small debris, as this can lead to diarrhea and other diseases. Read about quail drinkers in this material.
About keeping calves at home can be found in this article.
How to make a do-it-yourself rabbit drinker in a short period of time
In most cases, a heated drinker for rabbits can be assembled independently. Rabbit breeders often assemble their own heating devices for drinking rabbits. For its manufacture, you should use simple improvised elements, including metal or plastic bottles, hoses, couplings. It is recommended to use metal products to create such a structure, since they are more durable. To keep decorative rabbits, it is easiest to assemble a nipple, vacuum or trunk type drinking bowl. Designs should be made and installed in the autumn, so that with the onset of the first cold weather you can connect them to an electric heating system.
Read about how to make rabbit cages with your own hands here.
Nipple in autumn time
Such drinkers are considered the most convenient for rabbit breeders. It does not become clogged with the remainder of the feed and is not overturned by animals. To build such a drinking bowl for the rabbit, which can still be heated, can be done independently from improvised means. To create such a product you will need:
- plastic or metal containers;
- heating cable with thermal control system;
- a nipple (preferably metal) that can be mounted in a hose;
- a tube;
- temperature regulator, fluid heater;
- a gasket that is installed between the container and the coupling;
Assembly of a heated drinking bowl is carried out as follows:
- The diameter of the coupling is measured. A hole in the container is cut out under it.
- A gasket is put on the coupling itself. Using a lock nut, the coupling is secured to the container.
- A nipple is attached to a short piece of hose on one side and a sleeve on the other.
- Next, the heating cable is connected to the hose and to the water tank.
- After that, the drinker is filled with water, the temperature regulator is lowered into the container. The system is ready.
This system can be used to create not just one, but several rabbit drinkers at once. They are suitable for those owners who have a large herd of animals.
Vacuum needs to be heated
This type of drinking bowl is also very easy to manufacture. To build it, you need:
- Take a plastic bottle, fill it with water, attach it to the cage with its neck down.
- Under a bottle cap, fix a bowl or other container from which the rabbit will drink. The lid of the water bottle must necessarily be as close to the bottom of the container as possible, but not in contact with it.
- Unscrew the cap slightly so that the water from the bottle resembles a bowl. As the animal drinks from it, water in the drinker will arrive.
- Fix a lamp over the drinker to heat the structure.
It is necessary to check the quality of fastening of bottles in this design. Remember that animals with poorly fixed containers of water can simply turn over.
Breeders who have a large number of rabbit flocks are advised to use the main nipple drinkers. To do this, you need:
- Take a pipe through which water will be supplied, make several holes under it for nipples.
- Using gaskets and locknuts, attach the nipples to the tube.
- Install a water tank (you can fix it in any convenient place). Using a hose, connect it to the pipe.
For a description of the Manchuzhsky quail breed, refer to this link.
The heating element must be connected both to the tube supplying water to the rabbits and to the water tank. If this requirement is not met, the water in the containers may freeze.