How to make a do-it-yourself drinker for rabbits
Recently, raising rabbits at home is a very popular and profitable type of livestock farming. Such tiny and fluffy animals are in demand because of the most tender meat and soft skins. However, in order for the upcoming rabbit breeding to bring the expected success, it is important to provide the animals with proper care and constant care. To do this, you should purchase or make nipple drinkers for rabbits with your own hands.
Rabbit Feeding Requirements
It’s no secret that rabbits are able to drink about 1 liter of water per day, while they refuse unclean or not enough fresh fluid. If dirt floats in the tank, most likely they will immediately refuse such an offer, and perhaps they will cease to eat at all.
As for the way of life, it is especially mobile in these animals, therefore it is not difficult for them to turn over a fragile bowl of water. Therefore, a beginning livestock breeder needs to know in advance how to set up an auto-drinker and which option is best to choose for your farm.
If you have been breeding rabbits for a long time, then you should know why these animals use open containers for stool and why it is so important to change water as often as possible.
Inspect containers as often as possible. For example, when using vacuum drinking bowls or bottles in a cage, a minimum volume of water of 0.5 liters must be observed. If the level drops below this indicator, water needs to be added.
After deciding to make an auto-drinker for rabbits yourself, pay attention to a number of important subtleties, such as:
- Security. Drinking bowls should not have burrs or sharp corners, so the use of cans or other similar structures is unacceptable.
- Protection against dust and debris.
- Volume. It should be at least a liter with a small supply, which is enough for one day.
- Ease of use for animals.
- Easy to clean containers. Place the structure so that you do not have to reach for it through the entire cage.
- Reliability and simplicity. Make the device as simple as possible so that rabbits can get to the source of water at any time.
After studying these subtleties, you can begin to choose the appropriate type of drinker.
What are the drinkers
Of course, it’s easier to take some bowl or other container, however, in addition to simplicity in terms of changing the water, there is also a risk of quick pollution. When arranging a household farm, this option is impractical.
Instead, it is best to use cup, vacuum, and nipple type devices.
It is important to note that the breeding and popularization of rabbits has long been a very important area of animal husbandry, which needs a solid scientific base. The first branch institution in the former Soviet Union was founded back in 1932.
Cup models are made from bottles and plastic cans. They differ in one key advantage. an impressive volume. However, there are certain difficulties in servicing such structures: they need to be properly looked after, as well as weighted with a weight or clamp on the back. Also, such products are open, so the risk of dirt penetration is very high. The farmer has to clean the structure several times a day from dirt.
The principle of operation of vacuum drinking bowls is to supply water from an additional container to the “main” semi-automatic way. The reservoir in the form of a plastic bottle attached to the cell wall with clamps is filled until the level is maximum. In this case, the lower latch will act as a regulator.
Such a model is in particular demand due to its affordable cost and ease of manufacture, while the water retains its purity and freshness over time. Among the shortcomings is the risk of fluid leakage from the bowl, as well as the likelihood of freezing.
The most popular are nipple designs. Water placed in a closed container enters the tube with a ball nipple, and in order to gain access to it, the rabbit needs to push the ball with the tongue.
To avoid leaks, it is better to seal joints or seal them with rubber washers. gaskets.
Such drinkers are particularly practical, because the water in them is constantly clean and does not evaporate, which reduces its consumption. At the same time, it is almost impossible to pour it even for a powerful adult rabbit. In addition, this method allows you to simultaneously apply vitamin or therapeutic solutions with water.
How to make a drinker from a bottle
If you are planning to prepare a drinker for your rabbits, just find the right materials for you and then follow the walkthrough. It makes sense to start work with the simplest option. a “bottle” drinker.
First you need to find suitable containers with a volume of 1.5-5 liters (the exact volume depends on the number of individuals grown and their age indicators). Such an elementary option can be fixed on the cage with the help of two pieces of soft wire. One fix the neck of the bottle, and the other up.
When using such products, there is a risk that young rabbits can gnaw them in a week or two. Therefore, it is much more reasonable to give preference to the vacuum version.
Plastic bottles are also used here, but the principle of their use is significantly different. When pouring water, the neck closes, and then everything acts according to the laws of physics: the pressure difference is minimal, so the water does not pour out immediately.
The consumption of materials and time is minimal:
- It is enough to take a suitable bottle and a container with rounded edges. It can be a bowl, container, tin container, etc.
- Then you should cut the bottom and fill it with water.
- The next step is to unscrew the plug and adjust the water supply. Some people act in a different way: leave the cork in place, but make 2-3 large holes in it with an awl or knife.
- Then the bottle is attached to the cell wall using a wire or clamp at a height of 8-10 centimeters from the floor.
- Both containers are placed so that the lid is located near the bottom of the plate, but does not lie adjacent to it, blocking access to water.
- Everything, you can start pouring water.
If the size of the cell is large, and the number of animals reaches several individuals in one cage, then you will have to use a lot of drinkers. The main thing is that access to water remains stable and easy.
How to make a nipple drinker with your own hands
The principle of operation of nipple drinkers has been described above, but their design features are different. The simplest models will be relevant for small farms, where the number of livestock reaches 1–2 dozen individuals. So, to create such an option, you must follow the following guide:
- First you need to take a bottle with a cap, as well as a small piece of soft rubber or transparent plastic tube. Buying a nipple in a kit, you can see a suitable tube. this will greatly simplify the upcoming task.
- Holes corresponding to the diameter of the tube are carefully cut out in the lid.
- A nipple is fixed at one end of the tube and the other end is inserted into the cap.
- Then the bottle is fixed on the cell wall by means of clamps (a smaller clamp is installed directly near the neck, and a large one is placed in the upper part of the drinker). The rabbit should freely reach the nipple, so carefully select the appropriate height.
- Before you fill the tank with water, put a small plate under it, because until the rabbits learn to get to the source of water, a significant amount of it will fall on the floor.
- In the part of the pipe where the grooves are located, it is necessary to make marks and drill holes.
- Then they must be “passed” with a tap.
- Nipple elements are fixed in the formed holes.
- The free end is closed with a special plug, and a hole with a thread for the hose is made in a prepared tank or bottle.
- The other end of the hose is connected to the tube from the nipple. To ensure maximum tightness, the joints are treated with tape (Teflon).
The advantage of such drip nipple systems is the possibility of exploitation in winter.
How to teach a rabbit to a drinker
Oddly enough, but apart from the question: how to make a drinker with your own hands, many owners of such animals have another question. how to train animals in such systems? Unfortunately, not everyone knows that such a problem can be solved in a short time without the use of complex secrets or technologies. With the right approach, the issue will be resolved in just a couple of minutes.
In addition, many rabbits learned to drink from mounted drinking bowls from their mother. However, if they do not know how to do this, some measures will have to be taken.
It is no secret that the decorative individuals bought in a special club are not trained in such basic subtleties, so they will have to work hard.
To begin with, you should consider the option in the form of a bowl. Due to their logic and simplicity, these designs are used most often. To provide rabbits with high living comfort, two bowls should be used. one for food and one for water.
However, if you had to do this, you probably know what this leads to. Dwarf animals have a restless and very mobile way of life, therefore the safety and integrity of the bowl is temporary.
And although there are no difficulties in training, in a few hours all the surrounding dirt will be in the tank, and the spilled water will turn into dangerous moisture. Because of this nuisance, using a classic bowl is the worst solution.
Nipple drinker training
In this case, there will be no risk of excessive flow and unforeseen water spills. You may need to review a few of the offers available to find what really suits the farmed animals. The main thing is that the volume of the structure is at least 0.5 liters. 100-200 milliliters is very small.
So, after acquiring or successfully creating a watering system, you need to hang it, and then make sure the integrity of the tank. Make sure that the nipple elements do not leak, which can be done by tapping the ball with your finger. If everything is done well, water droplets will immediately fall into your hand. If this does not happen, slightly loosen the cover of the drinker. After that, when you click on the ball, the liquid should stand out from the hole.
Do not forget to conduct such experiments in the presence of the animal. It is important that he sit in the cage and observe the process. Press the ball several times, and then bring the moistened finger directly to its nose, smearing water on the lips.
Repeat the procedure several times until the animal independently comes closer to you and starts drinking water. Do not forget to be patient and willing to devote the necessary amount of time to such training. In this case, the animals will quickly learn to drink water without your participation.
As for the manufacture of drinkers with their own hands, such a task is easily solved at home. The main thing is to show diligence and thoroughness, strictly following all instructions and recommendations of specialists.
How to make DIY drinkers for rabbits
Requirements for drinking bowls for rabbits
The rabbits themselves are very mobile, and it is not difficult to turn over the capacity for them, so you have to think about the shape of the drinking bowl and its reliable fastening. And planting a “swamp” in the cells is undesirable.
Those who have been keeping rabbits for a long time noticed that for some reason, animals use an open container with water as a toilet, so they have to change water regularly, and this does not always have time.
- Security. There should not be any burrs on the drinkers, let alone sharp corners. Tin cans are excluded.
- Protection against dust and debris.
- The volume should be enough for a day (that is, a liter with a small margin).
- Convenience to animals.
- Filling and washing containers should also be as easy as possible. Position it so as not to stretch across the entire cell, at the risk of overflowing water.
- Reliability and simplicity. They try to make the system so that it is understandable for rabbits, and they could not gnaw it (sometimes it happens).
Knowing about these points, you can easily choose the right type of drinking bowl, and there are actually a lot of them.
What are the drinkers for rabbits
The easiest way to take a bowl, but this simplicity turns into a constant change of water and its rapid pollution. Even for a small farm, this is not the best option.
Where cup, vacuum or nipple devices are more suitable. Let’s take a closer look at them.
Cups are made from bottles and plastic cans. Plus they have only one. a large volume. They deliver much more inconvenience: they have to be aggravated by clinging to a weight on the back or fixing a clamp. In addition, they are open, dirt freely enters there, and it is necessary to wash the container several times a day.
Vacuum (or semi-automatic) is much more practical. The bottom line is simple. the water from the additional container is fed to the “main” drinker by gravity until it reaches the desired level. Such a reservoir can be a plastic bottle, which is attached to the cell wall with clamps (the lower retainer at the same time regulates the liquid level).
"Vacuum" is simple and cheap to manufacture, and the water in such a system remains clean for a long time. There is also a minus: the liquid can easily leak out of the bowl, and in winter there is a risk of it freezing.
The most popular are nipple systems. From a closed container, water flows into a tube, at the end of which there is a ball nipple. To get drunk, the rabbit will have to put pressure on this ball with his tongue.
Among the shortcomings can be called some manufacturing complexity and higher cost. Frequent refillings may cause the cap to leak. In the cold season, it happens that the nipple works intermittently (the ball may just freeze).
Automatic devices are suitable for large farms. From a large tank, water is piped into the bowls installed in the cells. The flow is regulated by a float valve, which is lowered along with the water level in the tank.
So dozens (or even hundreds) of animals simultaneously receive clean water. However, such a system is laborious to build and quite expensive.
Having made a choice, it’s time to learn how to make a drinker for rabbits.
Anyone can make a drinker, all the more so for this you need improvised materials, which are abundant in each compound. Let’s start with the simplest “bottle” designs.
Out of the bottle
Everything is simple here. they take an ordinary plastic bottle and cut a hole approximately in the middle with a heated knife. In size, it must be such that a rabbit muzzle passes there.
Such elementary drinking bowls for rabbits, made from plastic bottles with their own hands, are usually fixed on the cage with two pieces of soft wire. One grabs the neck of the “bottle” and the other holds the top.
There is one point associated with their use. rabbits (especially young ones) can bite such a container in a week. the second. Therefore, it makes sense to make a more reliable vacuum system.
The same plastic bottles are used, but the principle of supply is already different: part of the water, pouring out, covers the neck, and then physics. the pressure difference does not allow all the water to pour out at once.
There is a minimum of material, as well as time-consuming:
- A bottle and any container with rounded edges are taken (bowl, container, tin container).
- The bottom is cut out, water will be poured there.
- Then unscrew the cork, thereby regulating the flow of water. Some do it differently: the cork remains in place, but 2-3 large holes are made in it with an awl or knife.
- The bottle is attached to the cell wall with wire or clamps at a height of 8-10 cm from the floor.
- Both containers are positioned so that the lid is near the bottom of the plate, but does not lie adjacent to it, thereby blocking the supply.
- Everything, you can fill in the water.
If the cage is large and densely “populated” by animals, then several drinkers will be needed. The main thing is that they cover the need for rabbits in the liquid.
Do-it-yourself nipple drinkers for rabbits work on the same principle, but may differ in design. Those that are simpler to manufacture, suitable for a small population that lives in 1-2 cells. Let’s start with them.
They are done like this:
- Take a bottle with a cap and a piece of soft rubber or transparent plastic tube. When buying nipples in the kit, they usually offer a tube that is suitable in size. this is an even better option.
- A hole is carefully cut in the lid along the diameter of the tube.
- A nipple is inserted into the tube (on one edge), and the other end is inserted into the cap.
- The bottle is hooked on the wall of the cell with clamps (the smaller one near the neck, the larger one at the top). It should be convenient for the rabbit to use a nipple, so choose the right height.
- Before filling the container with water, substitute a small plate under it. until the animals get used to this method, the water may drip a little on half a cell.
- On the side of the pipe where the grooves of the pipes go, make marks and drill holes.
- Then they “pass” with a tap.
- A nipple is inserted into these threads.
- A cap is placed on the master end of the “main” pipe.
- A hole with a hose thread is made in the prepared tank or bottle.
- At the other end, the hose connects to the tube from the nipple. For tightness, the joints are wrapped with tape (Teflon is suitable).
- It remains to attach drop catchers.
Such work will take more time, but the “resource” of such a system will be large, and if you put a volumetric tank, you don’t have to often add water. it’s also a saving.
Do-it-yourself drinking bowls for rabbits from different materials
Every breeder knows that picking up good drinkers for rabbits is quite difficult. It is important that pets have constant free access to drink, and drinking bowls for rabbits are reliable and comfortable, easily filled with water and not let it get dirty. Pure water is one of the main conditions for growing healthy individuals.
What are the types of drinkers?
To choose the most convenient container for drinking, consider what drinkers most often used by farmers today:
Each type of drinking bowls for rabbits has its pros and cons. By comparing them, you can choose the most suitable option.
Cup capacity for water
The most common way to give pets a drink in the last century is to simply put a cup of water in their cage (a bowl, a can, a mug, and so on). Today, this method is used less and less, since it has more minuses than pluses. How to make do-it-yourself cages for rabbits with a photo.
- finding a suitable cup on the farm is quite easy, so this method is completely inexpensive.
Using nipple drinkers for rabbits is convenient. The principle of their action is based on the fact that touching the tongue to the ball of the nipple, the pet receives water, which enters the tube from the tank.
- in winter, the nipple freezes, and water access becomes impossible;
- buying a fixture will require some cost.
- animals cannot pollute or overfill water; it always remains clean;
- you see the liquid level and, if necessary, you can change it;
- it is convenient to add drugs or soluble vitamins to the container;
- rabbits economically consume water, since it does not splash, but flows directly into their mouth;
- these do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits can be made from improvised materials.
This type of breeders do on their own. To do this, put the water bottle with its open neck down on the container. At the same time, part of the liquid is poured out, and pets can drink it from the bowl. As you drink, water is poured into the container.
- food or garbage can get into the bowl;
- the bottle may tip over and water will flow out;
- in winter there is a chance of freezing of the vacuum drinking bowl.
- this drinker can be made independently;
- the liquid in the bottle remains clean, easily refills if necessary;
- manufacturing of vacuum equipment does not take much time.
In large farms, drinkers for rabbits are most often used. With their help, dozens of individuals are provided with water around the clock. The principle of operation is based on the fact that from a large central reservoir, the contents are piped to the bowls located in the cells. The system is equipped with a float, which is lowered together and the liquid level in the tank, which allows you to replenish the cells in the cells with fresh water.
- Making a drinker for rabbits requires some skills and financial costs.
- By setting up an automatic water supply system, you can drink a whole herd at the same time, and this significantly saves time on caring for animals;
- fresh and clean water enters the cells.
Out of the bottle
This option is proposed to be used by craftsmen who keep decorative rabbits at home. According to the principle of action, the design of the bottle resembles a nipple. Such drinkers for rabbits with their own hands according to the photo and drawings are easy to make.
- costly acquisition of materials for the manufacture of one design;
- if you make nipple drinkers for rabbits with your own hands from a bottle for ten or more individuals, the cost and time to manufacture increase several times.
- the equipment provides the home decorative beast with clean drink at any time.
Several ways to make do-it-yourself drinkers
When you have decided on the type of drinking bowl that is most suitable for your pets, you may have a question. how to make a drinking bowl for rabbits yourself? Let us turn to the advice of experienced rabbit breeders.
If the cup method is right for you, then you don’t have to do anything with your own hands. It is enough to put a plastic or metal container in the cage, which will be suitable in size.
For one individual, it is better to choose a smaller bowl, and if several rabbits live in the cage, then a container will need a larger diameter.
It is better to fix plastic containers on the outside of the cage so that pets cannot gnaw it.
To make a vacuum drinking bowl with your own hands, you need to prepare a plastic bottle, a bowl with smooth edges and holders. Next, the bowl is fixed at a height of 10 cm from the floor (this is necessary so that the animals do not climb inside). Above the bowl fasten the bottle with its neck down.
The neck must not come into contact with the container, otherwise water will not leak.
The water tank must be secured outside the pets’ access area, otherwise they will gnaw it in a few days. To learn how to make do-it-yourself drinking bowls for rabbits.
In order to make automatic drinking bowls for a large number of rabbits, prepare a plastic tank with a volume of at least 10 liters, a plastic or rubber tube, several nipples. A tank of water is installed near the cells; a plastic pipe is brought to the cells from it. Holes are made in it, placing them opposite each cell. A narrow hose with a nipple is inserted into each hole.
Should I make drinkers on my own?
In winter, water can freeze, which will complicate the life of an eared stock. Therefore, it should be possible to insulate vacuum, automatic or nipple drinkers for rabbits. To do this, you can wrap the containers with a warm cloth, or equip them with an aquarium thermostat. So your rabbits will be able to drink warm water in the winter.