Do-it-yourself drinking bowls for rabbits from different materials
Every breeder knows that picking up good drinkers for rabbits is quite difficult. It is important that pets have constant free access to drink, and drinking bowls for rabbits are reliable and comfortable, easily filled with water and not let it get dirty. Pure water is one of the main conditions for growing healthy individuals.
What are the types of drinkers?
To choose the most convenient container for drinking, consider what drinkers most often used by farmers today:
Each type of drinking bowls for rabbits has its pros and cons. By comparing them, you can choose the most suitable option.
Cup capacity for water
The most common way to give pets a drink in the last century is to simply put a cup of water in their cage (a bowl, a can, a mug, and so on). Today, this method is used less and less, since it has more minuses than pluses. How to make do-it-yourself cages for rabbits with a photo.
- finding a suitable cup on the farm is quite easy, so this method is completely inexpensive.
Using nipple drinkers for rabbits is convenient. The principle of their action is based on the fact that touching the tongue to the ball of the nipple, the pet receives water, which enters the tube from the tank.
- in winter, the nipple freezes, and water access becomes impossible;
- buying a fixture will require some cost.
- animals cannot pollute or overfill water; it always remains clean;
- you see the liquid level and, if necessary, you can change it;
- it is convenient to add drugs or soluble vitamins to the container;
- rabbits economically consume water, since it does not splash, but flows directly into their mouth;
- these do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits can be made from improvised materials.
This type of breeders do on their own. To do this, put the water bottle with its open neck down on the container. At the same time, part of the liquid is poured out, and pets can drink it from the bowl. As you drink, water is poured into the container.
- food or garbage can get into the bowl;
- the bottle may tip over and water will flow out;
- in winter there is a chance of freezing of the vacuum drinking bowl.
- this drinker can be made independently;
- the liquid in the bottle remains clean, easily refills if necessary;
- manufacturing of vacuum equipment does not take much time.
In large farms, drinkers for rabbits are most often used. With their help, dozens of individuals are provided with water around the clock. The principle of operation is based on the fact that from a large central reservoir, the contents are piped to the bowls located in the cells. The system is equipped with a float, which is lowered together and the liquid level in the tank, which allows you to replenish the cells in the cells with fresh water.
- Making a drinker for rabbits requires some skills and financial costs.
- By setting up an automatic water supply system, you can drink a whole herd at the same time, and this significantly saves time on caring for animals;
- fresh and clean water enters the cells.
Out of the bottle
This option is proposed to be used by craftsmen who keep decorative rabbits at home. According to the principle of action, the design of the bottle resembles a nipple. Such drinkers for rabbits with their own hands according to the photo and drawings are easy to make.
- costly acquisition of materials for the manufacture of one design;
- if you make nipple drinkers for rabbits with your own hands from a bottle for ten or more individuals, the cost and time to manufacture increase several times.
- the equipment provides the home decorative beast with clean drink at any time.
Several ways to make do-it-yourself drinkers
When you have decided on the type of drinking bowl that is most suitable for your pets, you may have a question. how to make a drinking bowl for rabbits yourself? Let us turn to the advice of experienced rabbit breeders.
If the cup method is right for you, then you don’t have to do anything with your own hands. It is enough to put a plastic or metal container in the cage, which will be suitable in size.
For one individual, it is better to choose a smaller bowl, and if several rabbits live in the cage, then a container will need a larger diameter.
It is better to fix plastic containers on the outside of the cage so that pets cannot gnaw it.
To make a vacuum drinking bowl with your own hands, you need to prepare a plastic bottle, a bowl with smooth edges and holders. Next, the bowl is fixed at a height of 10 cm from the floor (this is necessary so that the animals do not climb inside). Above the bowl fasten the bottle with its neck down.
The neck must not come into contact with the container, otherwise water will not leak.
The water tank must be secured outside the pets’ access area, otherwise they will gnaw it in a few days. To learn how to make do-it-yourself drinking bowls for rabbits.
In order to make automatic drinking bowls for a large number of rabbits, prepare a plastic tank with a volume of at least 10 liters, a plastic or rubber tube, several nipples. A tank of water is installed near the cells; a plastic pipe is brought to the cells from it. Holes are made in it, placing them opposite each cell. A narrow hose with a nipple is inserted into each hole.
Should I make drinkers on my own?
In winter, water can freeze, which will complicate the life of an eared stock. Therefore, it should be possible to insulate vacuum, automatic or nipple drinkers for rabbits. To do this, you can wrap the containers with a warm cloth, or equip them with an aquarium thermostat. So your rabbits will be able to drink warm water in the winter.
How to make DIY drinkers for rabbits
Requirements for drinking bowls for rabbits
The rabbits themselves are very mobile, and it is not difficult to turn over the capacity for them, so you have to think about the shape of the drinking bowl and its reliable fastening. And planting a “swamp” in the cells is undesirable.
Those who have been keeping rabbits for a long time noticed that for some reason, animals use an open container with water as a toilet, so they have to change water regularly, and this does not always have time.
- Security. There should not be any burrs on the drinkers, let alone sharp corners. Tin cans are excluded.
- Protection against dust and debris.
- The volume should be enough for a day (that is, a liter with a small margin).
- Convenience to animals.
- Filling and washing containers should also be as easy as possible. Position it so as not to stretch across the entire cell, at the risk of overflowing water.
- Reliability and simplicity. They try to make the system so that it is understandable for rabbits, and they could not gnaw it (sometimes it happens).
Knowing about these points, you can easily choose the right type of drinking bowl, and there are actually a lot of them.
What are the drinkers for rabbits
The easiest way to take a bowl, but this simplicity turns into a constant change of water and its rapid pollution. Even for a small farm, this is not the best option.
Where cup, vacuum or nipple devices are more suitable. Let’s take a closer look at them.
Cups are made from bottles and plastic cans. Plus they have only one. a large volume. They deliver much more inconvenience: they have to be aggravated by clinging to a weight on the back or fixing a clamp. In addition, they are open, dirt freely enters there, and it is necessary to wash the container several times a day.
Vacuum (or semi-automatic) is much more practical. The bottom line is simple. the water from the additional container is fed to the “main” drinker by gravity until it reaches the desired level. Such a reservoir can be a plastic bottle, which is attached to the cell wall with clamps (the lower retainer at the same time regulates the liquid level).
"Vacuum" is simple and cheap to manufacture, and the water in such a system remains clean for a long time. There is also a minus: the liquid can easily leak out of the bowl, and in winter there is a risk of it freezing.
The most popular are nipple systems. From a closed container, water flows into a tube, at the end of which there is a ball nipple. To get drunk, the rabbit will have to put pressure on this ball with his tongue.
Among the shortcomings can be called some manufacturing complexity and higher cost. Frequent refillings may cause the cap to leak. In the cold season, it happens that the nipple works intermittently (the ball may just freeze).
Automatic devices are suitable for large farms. From a large tank, water is piped into the bowls installed in the cells. The flow is regulated by a float valve, which is lowered along with the water level in the tank.
So dozens (or even hundreds) of animals simultaneously receive clean water. However, such a system is laborious to build and quite expensive.
Having made a choice, it’s time to learn how to make a drinker for rabbits.
Anyone can make a drinker, all the more so for this you need improvised materials, which are abundant in each compound. Let’s start with the simplest “bottle” designs.
Out of the bottle
Everything is simple here. they take an ordinary plastic bottle and cut a hole approximately in the middle with a heated knife. In size, it must be such that a rabbit muzzle passes there.
Such elementary drinking bowls for rabbits, made from plastic bottles with their own hands, are usually fixed on the cage with two pieces of soft wire. One grabs the neck of the “bottle” and the other holds the top.
There is one point associated with their use. rabbits (especially young ones) can bite such a container in a week. the second. Therefore, it makes sense to make a more reliable vacuum system.
The same plastic bottles are used, but the principle of supply is already different: part of the water, pouring out, covers the neck, and then physics. the pressure difference does not allow all the water to pour out at once.
There is a minimum of material, as well as time-consuming:
- A bottle and any container with rounded edges are taken (bowl, container, tin container).
- The bottom is cut out, water will be poured there.
- Then unscrew the cork, thereby regulating the flow of water. Some do it differently: the cork remains in place, but 2-3 large holes are made in it with an awl or knife.
- The bottle is attached to the cell wall with wire or clamps at a height of 8-10 cm from the floor.
- Both containers are positioned so that the lid is near the bottom of the plate, but does not lie adjacent to it, thereby blocking the supply.
- Everything, you can fill in the water.
If the cage is large and densely “populated” by animals, then several drinkers will be needed. The main thing is that they cover the need for rabbits in the liquid.
Do-it-yourself nipple drinkers for rabbits work on the same principle, but may differ in design. Those that are simpler to manufacture, suitable for a small population that lives in 1-2 cells. Let’s start with them.
They are done like this:
- Take a bottle with a cap and a piece of soft rubber or transparent plastic tube. When buying nipples in the kit, they usually offer a tube that is suitable in size. this is an even better option.
- A hole is carefully cut in the lid along the diameter of the tube.
- A nipple is inserted into the tube (on one edge), and the other end is inserted into the cap.
- The bottle is hooked on the wall of the cell with clamps (the smaller one near the neck, the larger one at the top). It should be convenient for the rabbit to use a nipple, so choose the right height.
- Before filling the container with water, substitute a small plate under it. until the animals get used to this method, the water may drip a little on half a cell.
- On the side of the pipe where the grooves of the pipes go, make marks and drill holes.
- Then they “pass” with a tap.
- A nipple is inserted into these threads.
- A cap is placed on the master end of the “main” pipe.
- A hole with a hose thread is made in the prepared tank or bottle.
- At the other end, the hose connects to the tube from the nipple. For tightness, the joints are wrapped with tape (Teflon is suitable).
- It remains to attach drop catchers.
Such work will take more time, but the “resource” of such a system will be large, and if you put a volumetric tank, you don’t have to often add water. it’s also a saving.
How to make an automatic drinker for rabbits
A drinking bowl for rabbits is a useful thing in the household. But those who want to buy such a device can be scared off by the price, especially when it comes to a large number of animals. You can make such an auto-drinker with your own hands at minimal cost.
What are the benefits of car drinkers
Among the advantages of installing auto-drinkers are the following:
- facilitate the flow of water, since you do not need to constantly walk and change the drink yourself;
- water is served in portions, the rabbit drinks it only when he wants to. Therefore, this method is more economical than a traditional manual spill;
- the design is simple and reliable, does not require special maintenance;
- made from improvised materials, no financial investment required;
- practically does not take place.
If you are a beginner rabbit breeder and plan to expand your farm in the future, such a device will be necessary, if not today, then tomorrow. And for a farm of two dozen individuals, such a device would not be superfluous.
In addition, any of the designs presented by us is more than a budget option and requires a small application of our own labor, rather than material costs.
How to make a do-it-yourself car drink
There are a lot of various designs for car drinkers. For their manufacture, a minimum of materials and tools is needed. You can usually get by with what is at hand.
For the manufacture of the simplest vacuum-type automatic drinker, you need to stock up only with a plastic bottle suitable in volume and height, as well as a bowl or other container with a wide bottom and sides 4–5 cm high.
The assembly is assembled as follows:
- A swirling bottle of water is attached to the cage by wire with the neck down.
- A bowl is placed under the neck of the bottle (or another container from which the rabbits will drink) so that there is a sufficient distance between the bottom of the bowl and the cork to unscrew it.
- When the bottle and bowl are installed, the cork is unscrewed, part of the water is poured to the level of the edge of the neck.
Animals drink water, its place is filled with liquid from a bottle. that’s the whole principle of the drinker.
To make the simplest nipple drinker at home, we need:
- plastic bottle suitable for height and volume;
- screwdriver or drill;
- drill 8 mm;
- knitting wire (30–40 cm).
We will assemble the device as follows:
- Using a screwdriver, drill a hole in the plug, which is in a twisted position.
- We clamp the nipple drinker into the screwdriver and screw it into the hole made in the cork.
- We heat one end of the wire and by burning we make 2 diametrically located holes in the wall of the bottle near its bottom.
- Pass the wire through the holes, leaving the ends of equal length on both sides. We bend these ends towards the bottom and twist together with a pigtail.
- Using nippers, we remove the remaining piece of wire sticking out (if necessary), and bend the braided pigtail into the hook, by which the file holder is suspended.
You can slightly modify the design: insert a tightly fitting diameter flexible tube 25-30 cm long into the hole in the cork, at the other end of which a nipple drinker is fixed.
In this case, it must be taken into account that the end of the tube 2-3 cm long must remain inside the bottle. It will prevent accidental debris from entering the tube, preventing it from clogging.
The advantage of this method is that it is suitable for low cells in which a bottle of water does not fit. The container can be placed in any suitable place, and the hose can be selected to the desired length.
DIY drinking bowls for rabbits
Heated drinker for rabbits
For winter you need a heated drinking bowl. We will tell you how to make a nipple-type heated device with your own hands.
For its manufacture, we need the following materials:
- capacity made of plastic or metal;
- nipple of good quality (so that it does not freeze in the cold as long as possible), metal is better;
- a tube made of thick rubber or high-quality plastic;
- tie clamps;
- gasket and locknut for coupling the coupling and the reservoir with water;
- water heater and temperature controller;
- self-regulating heating cable.
When all the materials and devices are ready, you can start assembling the device:
- We drill a hole in the wall of the water tank that will be connected to the tube. The hole in the tank and the diameter of the coupling must match.
- Using a lock nut and gasket, we connect the coupling to the hole.
- On the one hand, we connect the hose of the desired length to the coupling, insert the nipple into the hole on the other side.
- We fasten the heating cable with cable ties to a flexible tube and drinking tank.
- Pour water into the tank, lower the heater with thermostat there.
Everything, the winter car drinker for rabbits is ready, you can use it.
Should I make a drinker on my own?
If you are dealing with a rabbit farm and you have several tens or hundreds of animals, you should pay attention to the home-made design. After all, the acquisition of factory drinkers for all the inhabitants of rabbitry can coolly hit the pocket.
Now you know how you can assemble a car drinker for rabbits on your own, without making large physical and financial costs. Its manufacture, with the exception of heating devices, does not require any special skills.
Or perhaps you will take the device we recommend as the basis, be smart and come up with something of your own, the main thing is your desire.