The desire to get a rabbit or to do rabbit breeding in general always involves certain problems. Which cages to use, which rabbit feeders are better to use? All this will lead to certain costs. You can save. Option one. take the blueprints and make feeders with your own hands.
Often there are such cases when beginner rabbit breeders massively kill all their pets. There can be many reasons. One of the most important is unsanitary conditions, which in combination with malnutrition and feed dosage lead to such deplorable consequences. If you decide to get yourself rabbits, remember the importance of choosing the right feeder.
Types of feeders
The rabbit feeder refers to this type of equipment, which significantly saves time, energy, maintains the correct diet of the animal, significantly increases the hygiene conditions in the cage. And the fact that the trip of rabbits per day to the feeder is 26-30 times indicates its importance. The following types of feeders are distinguished:
- Ceramic bowls. As a rule, factory production. They look beautiful, but animals often turn them over.
- Day nursery. Used for feeding rabbits with hay and grass. Practical, but require frequent attention to replenish feed.
- Groove feeders. Serve for root crops, concentrated and fodder. Easy to manufacture. Provide access to feeding a large number of rabbits.
- Bunker feeders for rabbits. Used for bulk and granular feed. The type of construction prevents the spreading and trampling of the feed, and the feeder itself is replenished once every few days.
- Cup feeders. Can be metal (used cans), concrete or clay. They are used for granular and bulk feed. Can serve as drinking bowls for rabbits.
Rabbit eating hay from a feeding trough
How to make a feeder at home?
In the manufacture of any utensils for rabbitry, it should be remembered that it should be easy to care for and to operate. The feed must be protected from contamination. The hygienic condition of the inventory must be proper. Professional breeders can make a groove feeder or nursery in 30 minutes. The material for manufacturing is diverse.
Let’s talk about how production for beginners will look like. The first thing that should be is a tool. Prepare the drawings you need. Professionals recommend printing a drawing and decomposing it into its component parts. This is done in order to understand the correctness and sequence of collecting the feeders you need.
The most practical bunker feeder for rabbits remains to date. Granular feed or grain in the process of eating it by animals evenly, by gravity, fills the receiving tray and there it keeps at the right level. The food does not get enough sleep. Which positively affects the hygienic state of the cell and favorably affects rabbits. The big plus of such feeders, of course, is the large volume of the hopper. Thanks to this, the feed in the tank lasts for several days. This type of feeders is often used in farms that are located in areas remote from the place of residence. There are the following types of feeders:
- hopper with transverse partitions;
- round bunker.
Groove feeders are widely used both in amateur rabbit breeding and on farms. Very light and easy to assemble. Everyone will be able to read the drawings of such feeders and do it yourself. They can be of different lengths, and therefore many rabbits can be fed from one feeder. The most optimal form for this type is conical. Such feeders have a narrow bottom and therefore the selection of animal feed is much better.
Nursery senniki are often used in small and medium-sized farms. Experts recommend making a nursery with your own hands. According to professionals, the process of feeding animals will be more hygienic and practical. When rabbits eat grass or hay, they do not spread food throughout the cage. As a result, the litter of animals is not mixed, and this simplifies the cleaning of the cage and feed consumption. The positive quality of the nursery is that the food is evenly distributed between the pets. This does not allow any dominant animal to drive away the remaining rabbits.
Almost all types of feeders are easy to assemble and therefore, to make them yourself will not be much effort. When choosing the type of feeder, think about what your household will be like. How many rabbits will you start? An important moment remains the location of rabbitry. After all this, boldly proceed to the manufacture of feeders.
What materials are used to make feeders?
The recommended material for manufacturing is thin tin and other metal products and profiles. Although experienced farmers use wood, board, plywood, plastic, plexiglass, slate (bunker feeders are often made from different materials).
Auxiliary materials are wire, rod, glass. If tin or metal is not taken as the basis, then in this case it will be necessary to sheathe them in those places where most likely the rabbits will gnaw through parts of the structure.
It is worth remembering that you need to smooth out all sharp edges or notches so that rabbits do not damage the skin.
You will encounter many difficulties. The correct choice of cages and feeders for rabbits, diet, hygiene, types of feed. It is necessary to make the correct calculations, to study well the drawings of cages and feeders, to shoe yourself with literature.
How to make a simple metal structure?
There is one simple and quick option how to make a metal feeder with your own hands. Consider the basic manufacturing technique. Drawings you can easily find on the Internet.
- It is necessary to take sheet metal and cut out from it two details that will correspond to the external contour of the drawing.
- Take these two parts and make four cuts, bending the tin along the lines indicated in the drawing. For convenience and safety, use pliers.
- To facilitate the bending of the tin, carefully make shallow notches along the fold lines with the tip of the knife. These serifs should be half the thickness of the sheet.
- Proceed with the assembly. Bend the workpieces as indicated in the drawing. File all sharp corners and edges with a file or sandpaper.
Making a bunker feeder
- Scissors for metal
- 6 mm drill
- Wood screws 35mm 6 pcs. and 25 mm 6 pcs.
- Two bolts with 6 mm nuts
- Chipboard or board-twenty 2 pcs. size 15 by 30 mm (side walls), 1 pc. size 190 by 300 (back wall)
- Metal mesh 155 by 290
- Tin 1 pc. size 195mm by 265mm (hopper base, inner wall)
- Tin 1 pc. width 185 mm, height 135 mm (front wall).
Hopper feeder drawing
- We assemble the frame by connecting the side walls and the rear with 4 35mm screws.
- On the front wall of tin, from above we make cuts 30 mm deep at a distance of 20 mm from the edge and a 3 mm wide slot in the middle. The resulting "wings" are bent at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Bolts fasten to the front wall the mesh end-to-end to the curved edge exactly in the middle.
- We insert the front wall with the net into the feeder and fix it with screws. In this case, the back of the net “lies” on the back wall of the feeder in a bend.
- We bend the bunker base from tin Z-shaped and insert it from above into the feeder.
Important Tips and Tricks
If you decide not to buy feeders, but to make them with your own hands, then you should take these tips into service:
- all equipment and utensils for rabbit breeding should be practical, easy to care for, hygienic;
- if the feeder is not made of pure metal or tin, exclude nibbling of its elements;
- minimize feed contamination;
- the feeder should contain the daily amount of feed, otherwise the rabbits will crawl into it and shit there (the exception is hopper feeders);
- the feeder should be comfortable for pets;
- mount the feeder must be strong, in order to avoid overturning or falling it.