How to make a rabbit feeder
If you decide to start breeding rabbits, then you must create all the conditions for their maintenance and care, one of the tasks that confronts you is to equip your farm with animal feeders. These devices help us not to waste our energy and time in vain in order to provide competent nutrition for rabbits.
In this case, we are faced with the question of what they should be and how to make feeders for thoroughbred rabbits practical and as convenient as possible.
Before you start making the feeders with your own hands, we will give some tips:
- all feeding devices must meet accepted sanitary standards, convenient for care and quite practical;
- non-metallic products should have elementary protection against attempts by rabbits to gnaw them;
- the feed in the feeders must be protected from contamination;
- feeders, except for bunker ones, must contain no more than 1 daily norm of food, so that rabbits can not get in there and spoil the remaining supply;
- devices should be as convenient as possible for use;
- fasteners of feeders should be reliable so that rabbits could not damage or turn them over.
The main types of feeders for rabbits
Feeders, which are often used by rabbit breeders to feed animals, are of the following types:
- Ceramic bowls. They make these products at the factory, they are simple and aesthetic, but as practice shows, rabbits often overturn them and sprinkle food.
- Concentrated feed and most root crops are well laid out on the groove feeders, with their help it is easy to provide access to food immediately to a large number of rabbits.
- Hopper feeders. It is easy to place loose and granular feed in them, their device does not allow animals to trample and scatter products. Saves time, as it is filled with feed for several days.
- Nurseries are feeders in which you can put various herbs and hay, but you need to monitor them and fill up the feed on time.
- Cup type feeders. The material for their manufacture is different. it is metal (cans), clay and concrete. Typically used for bulk feed or as a drinker for rabbits.
Grooves for rabbits
The manufacture of these rabbit feeders is not particularly difficult. The simplest option is made of 6 boards. Two of them will be used to make the bottom, two more boards will be used for long sides of the feeder, and the remaining two will be used for short sides. Such feeders, as a rule, are made conical. To do this, the sideboards are cut at an angle and then fastened with screws. The bottom they get is narrow, which means that rabbits will choose food much better.
Bunker Feeders for Rabbits
Before making a bunker feeder for a rabbit, carefully read the drawings of these devices. If you do not have enough practical skills, we recommend that you opt for a hopper-type feeder, which is easily made from a three-liter tin can for tomato paste.
You will need a drill and scissors to cut the tin. First of all, the jar is cleaned of pasta residues. Then everything is done in the following order:
- half of the can is cut along its height, not reaching the bottom by about 1.5 cm;
- holes are drilled in the bottom of the can;
- the cut off, semicircular part of the can is straightened, edges 5 mm wide are bent into it and it is fastened with screws or rivets to the remaining semicircular part with a bottom;
- all sharp and cut edges are bent with pliers so as not to injure the rabbits.
In this form, the feeder is attached to the cell wall.
The general appearance of such a feeder is not very aesthetic, but the ease of operation and simplicity of the product put it in the forefront among the structures of the bunker type.
Nursery or sennitsy for rabbits
These types of feeding devices can be placed inside and outside the cages, but so that the animal cannot get into it and gnaw at the structure itself, which is often the case with plastic products.
Such a manger for hay can be done with your own hands. To make a Sennitsa, you need a wire mesh and a pair of lids with which glass jars are twisted. The cells in the wire mesh should be no more than 12×12 or 12×24. The mesh is folded in the form of a cylinder, and on the sides the structure is attached with covers. Such nurseries are hung from the ceiling or fixed to the wall of the cage. Rabbits freely get hay from a day nursery, and it is always clean and dry. Sometimes this Sennitsa is made in the form of a ball.
Another simple type of nursery for hay is made of wire mesh. A square is taken from the grid, the edges are bent on it from four sides. Then, according to the size of the resulting wire box, a lid is cut from the mesh on it. All this is held together and made by wire loops to fix the structure to the cell wall. Such a feeder is perfect for coarse, concentrated and green foods.
Cup Feeders for Rabbits
The easiest wood rabbit feeder
This simplest design is made with right angles of eight boards an inch thick.
Four boards will be used to make the bottom, and the sides will be made of the remaining ones. First, the bottom of the feeder is assembled, then the previously made side parts are applied to its end ends and fastened with self-tapping screws. It turns out a square design with sides, each of which is 40 centimeters.
Making a metal rabbit feeder
Dimensions of all parts for the feeder, as well as assembly.
Other articles from this section:
How to breed rabbits Why is a rabbit scattered rabbits? What do rabbits eat? Slaughtering a rabbit. how to kill a rabbit? What is the difference between rabbits and hares? What can not be fed a rabbit? How to choose a pair of rabbits for mating How to determine the period of hunting for rabbits How to mate rabbits? How to castrate a rabbit? How to make a drinker for rabbits? How to feed rabbits How to care for rabbits? How to make a cage for rabbits with your own hands Which breed of rabbit is better? What grass can not be fed rabbits? How to vaccinate rabbits? How to determine the gender of the rabbit? What kind of grass can rabbits be given? What do rabbits look like? (Constitution of the body) How do rabbits mate?
Notes of the ZOO ENGINEER Breeding, maintenance Business rabbit breeding Interesting about rabbits Not about rabbits! Medicines for Rabbits Diseases and Treatment Rabbit Breeds
DIY bunker feeder for rabbits drawings
DIY bunker feeder for rabbits, drawings and a detailed description of the design.
DRY FEED FEEDER
What are the advantages of the product in question:
Constant feed of dry food with the adjustment of its volume.
The ability to track the filling volume of the feeder through the back wall of transparent polycarbonate.
The feed tray is divided into two identical parts.
The hopper feeder consists of three main elements:
- working volume for feed loading
- removable cover
- meal drawer
The drawing shows a detail of the product:
- Side wall (left and right).
- Support plate of metal sieve.
- Bottom bar.
- Upper bar.
- Protection of the front wall of the lower bar.
- Stern bulkhead.
- Feed volume adjustment plate.
- Polycarbonate wall.
Sieve. is made of thin-sheet corrosion-resistant metal (stainless steel), in which holes with a diameter of 3 (mm) are drilled in a checkerboard pattern, at a distance of 20 (mm) from each other.
Back wall. made of transparent polycarbonate or plexiglass to visually determine the amount of filling of the feeder with food, without looking inside the hopper.
- Moisture resistant plywood.
- Wooden slats 10×10 (mm) in cross section.
- Wooden handle.
SHEET DRAWER BOX
- Wooden handle.
- Facade wall.
- Side walls.
- The bottom and back wall of thin-sheet corrosion-resistant metal.
The hopper feeder is inserted into the technological opening of the cell and fixed on top.
Share with your friends!
How to make a rabbit feeder yourself
The desire to get a rabbit or to do rabbit breeding in general always involves certain problems. Which cages to use, which rabbit feeders are better to use?
Handmade rabbit feeders: quick and easy
All this will lead to certain costs. You can save. Option one. take the blueprints and make feeders with your own hands.
Often there are such cases when beginner rabbit breeders massively kill all their pets. There can be many reasons. One of the most important is unsanitary conditions, which in combination with malnutrition and feed dosage lead to such deplorable consequences. If you decide to get yourself rabbits, remember the importance of choosing the right feeder.
Types of feeders
The rabbit feeder refers to this type of equipment, which significantly saves time, energy, maintains the correct diet of the animal, significantly increases the hygiene conditions in the cage. And the fact that the trip of rabbits per day to the feeder is 26-30 times indicates its importance. The following types of feeders are distinguished:
- Ceramic bowls. As a rule, factory production. They look beautiful, but animals often turn them over.
- Day nursery. Used for feeding rabbits with hay and grass. Practical, but require frequent attention to replenish feed.
- Groove feeders. Serve for root crops, concentrated and fodder. Easy to manufacture. Provide access to feeding a large number of rabbits.
- Bunker feeders for rabbits. Used for bulk and granular feed. The type of construction prevents the spreading and trampling of the feed, and the feeder itself is replenished once every few days.
- Cup feeders. Can be metal (used cans), concrete or clay. They are used for granular and bulk feed. Can serve as drinking bowls for rabbits.
Rabbit eating hay from a feeding trough
How to make a feeder at home?
In the manufacture of any utensils for rabbitry, it should be remembered that it should be easy to care for and to operate. The feed must be protected from contamination. The hygienic condition of the inventory must be proper. Professional breeders can make a groove feeder or nursery in 30 minutes. The material for manufacturing is diverse.
Let’s talk about how production for beginners will look like. The first thing that should be is a tool. Prepare the drawings you need. Professionals recommend printing a drawing and decomposing it into its component parts. This is done in order to understand the correctness and sequence of collecting the feeders you need.
The most practical bunker feeder for rabbits remains to date. Granular feed or grain in the process of eating it by animals evenly, by gravity, fills the receiving tray and there it keeps at the right level. The food does not get enough sleep. Which positively affects the hygienic state of the cell and favorably affects rabbits. The big plus of such feeders, of course, is the large volume of the hopper. Thanks to this, the feed in the tank lasts for several days. This type of feeders is often used in farms that are located in areas remote from the place of residence. There are the following types of feeders:
- hopper with transverse partitions;
- round bunker.
Groove feeders are widely used both in amateur rabbit breeding and on farms. Very light and easy to assemble. Everyone will be able to read the drawings of such feeders and do it yourself. They can be of different lengths, and therefore many rabbits can be fed from one feeder. The most optimal form for this type is conical. Such feeders have a narrow bottom and therefore the selection of animal feed is much better.
Nursery senniki are often used in small and medium-sized farms. Experts recommend making a nursery with your own hands. According to professionals, the process of feeding animals will be more hygienic and practical. When rabbits eat grass or hay, they do not spread food throughout the cage. As a result, the litter of animals is not mixed, and this simplifies the cleaning of the cage and feed consumption. The positive quality of the nursery is that the food is evenly distributed between the pets. This does not allow any dominant animal to drive away the remaining rabbits.
Nursery for rabbits
Almost all types of feeders are easy to assemble and therefore, to make them yourself will not be much effort. When choosing the type of feeder, think about what your household will be like. How many rabbits will you start? An important moment remains the location of rabbitry. After all this, boldly proceed to the manufacture of feeders.
What materials are used to make feeders?
The recommended material for manufacturing is thin tin and other metal products and profiles. Although experienced farmers use wood, board, plywood, plastic, plexiglass, slate (bunker feeders are often made from different materials).
Auxiliary materials are wire, rod, glass. If tin or metal is not taken as the basis, then in this case it will be necessary to sheathe them in those places where most likely the rabbits will gnaw through parts of the structure.
It is worth remembering that you need to smooth out all sharp edges or notches so that rabbits do not damage the skin.
You will encounter many difficulties. The correct choice of cages and feeders for rabbits, diet, hygiene, types of feed.
It is necessary to make the correct calculations, to study well the drawings of cages and feeders, to shoe yourself with literature.
How to make a simple metal structure?
There is one simple and quick option how to make a metal feeder with your own hands. Consider the basic manufacturing technique. Drawings you can easily find on the Internet.
- It is necessary to take sheet metal and cut out from it two details that will correspond to the external contour of the drawing.
- Take these two parts and make four cuts, bending the tin along the lines indicated in the drawing. For convenience and safety, use pliers.
- To facilitate the bending of the tin, carefully make shallow notches along the fold lines with the tip of the knife. These serifs should be half the thickness of the sheet.
- Proceed with the assembly. Bend the workpieces as indicated in the drawing. File all sharp corners and edges with a file or sandpaper.
Making a bunker feeder
- Scissors for metal
- 6 mm drill
- Wood screws 35mm 6 pcs. and 25 mm 6 pcs.
- Two bolts with 6 mm nuts
- Chipboard or board-twenty 2 pcs. size 15 by 30 mm (side walls), 1 pc. size 190 by 300 (back wall)
- Metal mesh 155 by 290
- Tin 1 pc. size 195mm by 265mm (hopper base, inner wall)
- Tin 1 pc. width 185 mm, height 135 mm (front wall).
Hopper feeder drawing
- We assemble the frame by connecting the side walls and the rear with 4 35mm screws.
- On the front wall of tin, from above we make cuts 30 mm deep at a distance of 20 mm from the edge and a 3 mm wide slot in the middle. The resulting "wings" are bent at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Bolts fasten to the front wall the mesh end-to-end to the curved edge exactly in the middle.
- We insert the front wall with the net into the feeder and fix it with screws. In this case, the back of the net “lies” on the back wall of the feeder in a bend.
- We bend the bunker base from tin Z-shaped and insert it from above into the feeder.
Important Tips and Tricks
If you decide not to buy feeders, but to make them with your own hands, then you should take these tips into service:
- all equipment and utensils for rabbit breeding should be practical, easy to care for, hygienic;
- if the feeder is not made of pure metal or tin, exclude nibbling of its elements;
- minimize feed contamination;
- the feeder should contain the daily amount of feed, otherwise the rabbits will crawl into it and shit there (the exception is hopper feeders);
- the feeder should be comfortable for pets;
- mount the feeder must be strong, in order to avoid overturning or falling it.