If you are engaged in breeding rabbits in your home garden, do not forget to take care of clean water for these eared animals.
It would seem that rabbits get enough moisture from succulent grass and root crops, but, as practice shows, this amount of liquid is not enough for them.
So without a good drinker when breeding rabbits at home, you can hardly do.
For this, you can adapt various improvised containers, such as plastic bottles or containers, cans, metal bowls and more. However, all this packaging will have a short life.
Holes will immediately appear in the plastic bowls. the rabbits will simply gnaw them. In metal vessels, water, too, will not stay long. Rabbits are mobile animals, they can easily turn over a container of water or throw garbage in there, which will lead to such a drinking bowl unusable.
Let’s try sort out in drinker designs and materials for their manufacture in this article, and also consider the sequence manufacturing simple options for this device.
What are the drinking bowls for rabbits
There are several classifications drinking bowl for animals. They can be divided into several groups depending on the used material:
- Stainless steel;
- Other materials.
Depending on the constructions the whole variety of rabbit drinkers can be divided into several species:
- Automatic drinkers. Provide water to the entire rabbit population. As soon as the water level in the tanks from which the rabbits drink drops, the water enters the drinkers without intervention human automatically. Such structures have a fairly high cost, therefore, for small farms are unprofitable;
- Nipple drinkers. Small private farms prefer nipple drinkers. They do not turn over, the water from them does not spill and remains fresh and clean throughout the day. Rabbits are very sensitive to water quality. Contaminated manure and blooming water can seriously to harm animal health.
Disadvantages of nipple drinkers: in winter, water in such drinkers quickly freezes; nipple drinkers are small, so they are necessary several times a day again and again fill their water; fragility and low reliability of the design; nipple drinkers often leak in the lid area;
- Vacuum drinkers. The main advantages of such a device include: ease of use (a vacuum drinking bowl can be attached to the cell wall with special fasteners of different diameters that help prevent the product from turning over); water bottles usually enough for a whole day of use. Disadvantage there is only one vacuum trough: if the water level is incorrectly set, the trough can leak.
Finally, drinkers can be industrial manufactured or manufactured personally.
It is worth noting that, when choosing a drinker, a big role is played by the size rabbit farms. In large rabbit farmers install automatic drinkers of complex design.
Small owners private farms most often prefer a home-made drinker.
DIY drinking bowl for rabbits
Experienced rabbit breeders offer do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits. We will give several options for their manufacture. The material for working on such a drinker will be ordinary plastic bottles.
The easiest and fastest way to make a rabbit drinker is as follows:
- With the help of a sharp knife, a round hole is cut out in the middle of the bottle (the size of the hole should coincide with the circumference of the rabbit’s head);
- We attach the bottle to the horizontal wall of the cage using a conventional wire;
- Pour water into a fixed bottle.
From materials you need only a plastic bottle on 1,5 l, knife and wire. By the way, plastic bottles are an excellent improvised material for country houses. Read in this article how to make decorative fences for flower beds with your own hands.
Virtues such drinkers are obvious. it is made from improvised material, it is easy to wash and simple to make. Disadvantage. short service life. If plastic does not attract adults, young animals can gnaw such a drinker in a few days.
See also how to make a bird feeder in the next article.
Vacuum drinking bowl
Materials for the manufacture of:
- Plastic bottle on 1.5–2 L;
- Piece of wire;
- Capacity from which rabbits will drink. It can be a metal bowl.
- The bottle is filled with water and closed with a lid;
- With the help of wire, the bottle is firmly attached to the cell wall with its neck down;
- A metal bowl is set under the neck of the bottle so that the neck does not touch its bottom a little;
- The last step is to carefully unscrew the cap.
Dignity such a drinker: you do not have to constantly monitor the presence of water and non-stop pouring it. In addition, you will save money.
Disadvantage: There is a high probability of getting dirt and garbage in a bowl for drinking, which is harmful to the health of rabbits.
Advanced Vacuum Drinker
Rabbits not indifferent to plastic and try to crack it. Therefore, drinking bowls in which this material is present are short-lived.
You can get rid of these shortcomings. For this:
- made of stainless steel sheet or galvanized box, which reliably protects a large plastic container with water on 5-6.5 l;
- All sharp edges of the box are being processed file to avoid injury to moving animals.
Main advantage This version of a homemade drinker. a long service life.
And in this article. a diagram of the construction of a children’s sandbox with a lid.
Where can I get rabbit drinkers?
Drinking bowls heated in winter are more expensive. Nipple drinkers will provide rabbits with clean water without impurities, water does not pour out of them, therefore it is dry in the cage.
When choosing and installing a drinker for your eared pets, remember that the drinker must meet certain requirements:
- Water should remain clean for as long as possible;
- The drinker should not tip over, so check that the fastener is secure during installation;
- The drinker should be easy to clean;
- Rabbits should not nibble the drinker, otherwise it will not last long.