Water is an essential component for maintaining the life of rabbits. There are many designs for drinking bowls for rabbits. For decorative rabbits, standard designs are usually used. For rural rabbits, it is better to take original drinkers, assembled independently. You will learn how to choose and make a simple and inexpensive drinker for rabbits with your own hands in this material.
How does a rabbit drink water?
Do not be surprised. The physiological characteristics of animals are always taken into account in the manufacture of livestock equipment. Therefore, the design of car drinkers for different animals can vary significantly. In particular, rabbit watering is based on three characteristics of these animals:
- In the wild fauna, rabbits drink water from puddles below head level. Therefore, the most physiological drinkers are cup type.
- The homeland of wild animals is arid southern countries, so they can lick moisture. Therefore, to teach a rabbit to drink from a nipple drinker is simple.
- Rabbits, unlike other animals, can easily be taught to drink water after a certain period of time. So it’s not necessary to make heated winter drinking bowls
Homemade Drinker Requirements
A homemade drinker for a rabbit must meet the following requirements and be different from the finished design.
- Be cheaper than the purchased counterpart.
- Do not let water through the valves.
- Work without effort on the part of the animal.
- Be strong and safe
- Have a secure fit.
- Be easy to operate and sanitize.
- It should not accumulate debris and bloom water.
- Reliably work in automatic mode for at least a day.
Types of homemade drinkers
There are several designs of drinking bowls for rabbits that you can easily build with your own hands.
- Cup drinker. It is a flat container, easy to drink. It is important to achieve bowl stability. Rabbits love to knock over and pollute them.
- Vacuum or gravity. A kind of cup drinking. To understand the principle of operation, draw water into the bottle and turn it upside down into any container. You will see that water does not flow out, it is held by a vacuum from above. If the water level in the cup is reduced, then the water from the bottle under the influence of gravity will again fill the cup with water to the level of the neck.
- Nipple (nipple). The principle resembles a nipple drinker, however, instead of a ball, a miniature check valve is installed. a nipple. The rabbit receives a portion of drinking water, pushing the tongue, gums or teeth on the valve.
- Ballpoint. A simplified version of the nipple drinker. Water is in a container to which a metal tube is attached with a fitted ball inside. Rabbits lick moisture by pressing on the protruding part of the ball.
- Winter drinkers. These are any designs that have heating. In domestic rabbits are almost never used. Most often, water is replaced with ice or snow. Meanwhile, there are options for making winter drinkers for rabbits at home.
- Drinking systems for rabbits. Almost always, these are nipple drinkers, combined into a single water system. They can be connected to a central water supply or to an autonomous tank.
Homemade Rabbit Drinker Ideas
From the variety of designs (cups, vacuum drinking bowls, nipple), there are only two ways to receive water from a rabbit:
- drink freely from an open cup (cup and vacuum drinkers);
- lick (stick) water from the tube (all types of nipple drinkers).
Any of these structures have advantages and disadvantages in manufacturing and operation. The main thing is that there should be as few flaws as possible.
Features of the designs of homemade cup drinkers
Cup drinkers are the most common in domestic rabbit breeding. There are individual for breeding rabbits and group drinking bowls for young fattening animals. The simplest individual drinkers are tin cans, secured against overturning with clamps or other means. Group drinking bowls are made of tin, plastic pipes and other materials. Take into account the front of the drink. For one rabbit, it is from 3 to 4 cm. The height of the drinker from the floor is from 8 to 12 cm. The vacuum system of water supply is considered a modification of cup drinkers.
Photo of self-made cup drinking bowls
A photo. The simplest cup drinker design. If only the water was clean
A photo. Can drinking bowl, securely attached and easy to remove
A photo. This is what the mount to the drinking cup looks like.
Photo principle of operation of vacuum drinking bowls
A photo. The principle of operation of a homemade vacuum drinking bowl for rabbits
A photo. Appearance and fastening from the remains of galvanized profiles
Features of the design of nipple drinkers
Two schematic diagrams of nipples are known. The first is a metal tube with a check valve in the form of a ball and a pressure spring. The second circuit includes a miniature shut-off water tap. Both designs work only when pressing the tongue or lips on the nipple. The advantages are that they work sparingly; they can be assembled into systems to provide dozens of cells with water. The disadvantage is that structures often break. Therefore, select structures with a minimum number of plastic parts.
Photo principle of operation of nipple drinkers
A photo. The principle of operation of the nipple drinker for rabbits
A photo. The simplest homemade nipple drinker
Homemade Winter Drinking Bowls for Heated Rabbits
Almost always, winter drinking bowls for rabbits in the household run on electric energy. On the Internet you can find fantastic designs that in practice do not work. To warm water in a homemade drinker for a rabbit with aquarium heaters or incandescent lamps is a kindergarten.
A photo. Fantasy! Isn’t it easier to pour warm water into the bucket and simply quench an animal’s thirst than to mock him like that. Sooner or later this rabbit will bite this thermal cable and kill him with electric current. Or another option. The thermal cable will burn out without water and a short circuit will occur.
If nevertheless there is a desire, then pay attention to thermal cables, insulation and protection of the insulation from rodents. It is possible to buy in a set or separately at a wholesale base in any region.
- There are cables for external heating. They can be insulated outside drinking bowls, pipes, containers. They are best used for making heated drinking bowls.
- There are immersion cables that are mounted inside a water pipe or container. They are best used for self-insulating containers for drinking water.
In order to independently make a winter heated drinking bowl for a rabbit using a thermal cable, you need to choose:
- cable (resistive or self-regulating);
- cable temperature class and protective braid to it;
- the required cable power.
Further, if the reader has the skills of an electrician, then making any design for winter drinking bowls for a rabbit is not difficult. Do not forget to warm and protect drinkers. Warm water from 5 to 15 degrees Celsius is the best fertility and nursing of young animals in the cold winter. If the winter in your region lasts less than a month, then in the off-season organize a two-time rabbit watering.
Home-made rabbit watering systems
It’s very easy to make a rabbit watering system. The only limitation is to install them better in heated rabbitries. As an exception, on the street in warm regions. The design is:
- Sets of nipples with spring mounting (1-2 for each cage);
- Tees plastic or stainless steel;
- Flexible transparent hoses are usually 8 mm in diameter, under the diameter of the tee and nipple fitting;
- General tank for drinking water, volume from 10 to 50 liters;
- Shutoff valves (faucet) or ordinary clamps for blocking water for the period of repair of the drinking bowl;
DIY assembly is quite simple. Place the main drinkers at a height of no higher than 12 cm from the floor. So it’s easier for rabbits to get used to drinking water. Do not forget to protect hoses and drinking bowls from bites.
Read more: disinfection of watering systems in rabbits
Photo principle of the work of home-made watering systems
A photo. The principle of the home-made rabbit watering system
A photo. The principle of operation of a homemade rabbit watering system. Please note you can use several containers and two levels of container placement.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make car drinkers
For the manufacture of a rabbit watering system, plastic pipes, a drill and a drill and a tap for threading to the diameter of the nipple are needed.
Step # 1. Make markup with a marker. Do not forget that all nipple drinkers should be on the same line. Otherwise, they will not work correctly.
A photo. We select a pipe of suitable diameter and mark it on it before drilling holes
Step number 2. Drill holes and grind burrs
A photo. We drill one or more holes at a distance of 3-4 cm (see the front of drinking). The second option when placing one drinker per cell, then the distance is calculated between the cells.
Step number 3. We cut the thread under the nipple drinkers and screw them.
A photo. cut the thread under the nipple with a tap and screw it into the pipe
Step number 4. We make the end part, which we will connect to the water supply
A photo. At the end of the pipe, we cut a thread with a tap to tighten the fitting
Step number 5. We twist the fitting to connect it to the water supply
A photo. The union and lock nut for connection to a flexible hose of a water supply system
Memo for making rabbit drinkers
We will not repeat the description of how to make a drinker yourself. We hope that the reader will be able to independently figure out which hand to take the instrument. Just recall the main points that you need to pay attention to:
- We place all types of drinking bowls at a height of 12 cm from the floor of the cage, the front of the drinker for rabbits is 3-4 cm, this is the minimum distance between the drinking bowls
- It is easier and physiologically better for rabbits to make cup drinkers. Make them narrow (about 4 cm) to prevent dirt from entering. Home-made drinkers should be equipped with overturn mounts. Come up with a simple mount, but with a secure fit.
- Vacuum drinkers are convenient and easy to manufacture, but they use water in vain and work only in the summer. Be sure to see how to properly hold the water tank in an upright position.
- Choose nipple drinkers with the least amount of plastic parts, securely fasten in a cage.
- The watering system can be considered in heated rabbitries. A container for storing and distributing water is best taken in the form of a canister to easily raise above the level of the drinkers. Do not forget that you yourself will need to raise the tank to a height.
Water is an important component in the life of rabbits. Each economical rabbit breeder should be able to make drinkers for rabbits with his own hands. Use available and inexpensive materials for this. We hope that our review of homemade rabbit drinkers will facilitate the search for optimal designs.