Rabbits need constant access to clean water in the required quantity. And in order to keep the water clean for as long as possible, you need a convenient and proper drinker. It can be made from inexpensive but durable materials, such as a plastic bottle. Making such simple drinkers for rabbits with your own hands is very, very simple.
What should she be like?
Their shape, in principle, can be any: a plastic trough, a plate or any other container. But since the rabbits in the cage are constantly moving, eating, washing, the water can become clogged and the water tank risks tipping over. That is why the cups for rabbits are closed and placed outside the cage.
The design must be fixed by any means, the usual wire will come off. You can also use fasteners made of iron, steel, ordinary cans. The main thing is that such a fastener is reliable and keeps the bottle from tipping over.
To ensure that drinkers are always clean, it is most convenient to use small containers. For example, no more than 0.5 liters.
How to make it yourself?
It will be easy to make such a useful and durable, and most importantly, cheap capacity at home, at home. The whole process will take 20 minutes at most. Apart from, of course, mounting on the cage. But this is the final stage, it can be done at any time.
Materials and Tools
So, if you set out to make a plastic functional tank out of a bottle that will save your rabbits from thirst, you will need:
- 0.5 liter bottle;
- a thin drill or nail to create a hole;
- a stand in which water will flow (usually take a tin with processed edges, for example, a jar of sprats. A small 250 ml plastic bottle cut off in the shape of an oval will also come off);
- materials for fastening and fixing the tank to the cage;
- pliers for bending the sharp edges of the can;
- wire or other fasteners for hanging the finished structure.
The simple procedure described in our instructions will help you make reliable and functional drinking bowls for your pets.
- Unscrew the cap from the bottle and drill a small hole through the neck. You will get two of them. Their diameter should not exceed 2-3 mm. If water flows slowly, make another hole.
- Fill the container with water and tighten the lid.
- Get the already prepared oblong tin (or a plastic box with low sides, but always oblong), place the bottle down with its neck.
After such manipulations, you will notice that the water level in the tank reaches up to a certain level and will no longer grow. As the rabbit takes a sip from the tin, fluid will arrive. On such a simple principle, and all bottle home-made drinkers for eared work.
You can not drill holes, but simply slightly unscrew the lid, just turning the neck into the feed tank. The effect will be the same. But the carving on the bottles wears out over time, and can be loosely fixed. Over time, your drinkers will still have to be replaced, but not earlier than after 2-3 years.
“How to choose and prepare a bottle”
The author tells how to design this system and how to fix it.
How to make a drinker for rabbits from a bottle photo