How to water their wards is a well-known problem for all novice rabbit breeders. Water, at least one liter per day. the required volume necessary to maintain the normal functioning of the rabbit’s body. When the rabbit’s feeding period begins, the female needs a double rate of fluid so that her body produces enough milk.
Another feature of the rabbit’s life is the need to have only clean water, because due to the weak digestion system of these animals, they always need fresh water.
Therefore, the question of how to make a drinking bowl for rabbits is always especially acute for beginning rabbit breeders.
Requirements for drinking bowls for rabbits
In order for the rabbit to be provided with clean and fresh water at any time, he needs a safe, simple and convenient drinker that meets the following requirements:
- the purity of the water in the drinker should be maintained for a long time;
- so that the drinker does not tip over, it must be firmly fixed to the cell wall;
- there must be an appropriate water tank so that rabbits can be provided with liquid for a long time;
- Rinse the device daily, especially in summer.
On large farms, an automatic drinker is used to provide liquid to the entire herd, the device of which is not difficult to understand. It is made in the form of a large reservoir for a significant amount of liquid, a tank with a float for distributing water and the drinkers themselves with a supply for each cage. Through a system of hoses, water fills the tanks located in the cage, and as soon as the level drops, the float drops and gives access to the liquid from the distribution tank. But such systems are expensive, so we will consider how to make a drinker for rabbits with our own hands.
Types of drinking bowls for rabbits
Basically, breeders use three types of drinking bowls, which, if desired, can be done with your own hands, these include:
- Cup drinkers.
- Vacuum or drinkers for a bottle.
- Drinking bowls with a nipple.
These drinkers are the easiest to manufacture and use. An ordinary bowl or tin can is taken and placed in a cage so that the wall divides it into two parts, one of which was outside and the other inside. With this installation, it is easy to change the water in the drinking bowl and wash the tank.
Such simple drinkers also have their advantages:
- rabbits quickly get used to this method;
- when placed in a cage they do not need to be configured;
- a free approach to water allows you to conveniently use the drinker;
- the cheapest option compared to others.
The disadvantages of cup drinkers are. wool, feed and droppings of rabbits will fall into the bowl, it will often have to be washed. In addition, because of their injustice, rabbits can turn over the cup and swim in it. And high humidity in the cage is extremely undesirable for animal health.
To make a vacuum drinking bowl for rabbits with your own hands, you need to have a plastic bottle and two clamps for attaching it to the wall of the rabbit cage. A liquid container is bought at the nearest market or made independently. It is desirable that it was made of metal that is not amenable to corrosion or made of plastic for drinking water.
The plastic bottle with the liquid is turned over so that the neck does not touch the surface of the cup. A certain amount of water will pour into the tank and close the neck, and the pressure difference will prevent water from flowing out of the tank. Thus, the liquid will fill the tank slowly and evenly, at the speed with which the rabbits will drink it.
The bottle is attached to the outside of the cage with two clamps, large for the top of the bottle and smaller for the neck. The water tank is installed at such a height that rabbits of any height can quench their thirst, but they do not have the opportunity to get in there. A height of 10 cm above the floor surface is optimal for the installation of a drinking bowl.
Rabbit breeders will only need to worry about the number of drinkers and, based on the volume of the bottle, calculate so that there is at least half a liter of water per rabbit.
Advantages of a vacuum drinking bowl:
- simple to use and easy to manufacture;
- water is reliably protected from hit of dirt and foreign objects;
- minimum acquisition costs.
Disadvantages of a vacuum drinking bowl:
- a small, but still possible leakage of water from the tank;
- high probability of freezing water in the winter.
Such drinkers are arranged as well as vacuum ones, only it is desirable to make the case of the device from stainless steel for longer use. You will need two clamps for mounting on the wall of the cage, a rubber tube and a nipple. At one end, a rubber tube is inserted into the neck of the drinker housing, and a nipple is put on the other.
A nipple is a device in the form of a ball, on which a rabbit presses with its tongue in order to receive a portion of liquid.
Benefits of a nipple drinker:
- the purity of the water remains for a long time
- there is no evaporation of water, so there will be minimal consumption;
- water spillage is excluded;
- allows you to dissolve medications or vitamins to treat rabbits.
Disadvantages of a nipple drinker:
- when cold weather occurs, the water in the housing freezes.
If you pay close attention to the device for rabbit drinkers, then your livestock will always be with clean and fresh water, and you will not have to worry about their health, but when breeding meat breeds, the health issue is fundamental. You can buy nipple drinking bowls for rabbits from us.