To properly make do-it-yourself feeders for rabbits, it is enough to use improvised means. The main condition is to strictly follow the drawings, and at the end of the work, smooth out all sharp, angular parts and sand wooden surfaces so that the animals do not get hurt.
What to look for first
Before you start making a feeder, you need to take into account several rules so that the rabbit is comfortable to eat, and the owner needs to be cleaned:
- In size, the feeder should optimally fit the volume of feed that is intended for the animal for a day. If the capacity is larger, it is very likely that the rabbits will begin to climb there with their feet and contaminate the cage with food.
- If the product is not made of metal (and not of tin), you must immediately eliminate the risk that the rabbit will begin to gnaw at the surface.
- It should be foreseen that the container can be firmly attached to the floor or wall, otherwise the rabbits can easily turn it over.
- It is very important to pay attention to the fact that there are no sharp corners, small burrs around the edges. otherwise the rabbit will easily get hurt or plant a splinter.
- The container should be easily cleaned. in this regard, metal products are well suited.
- Finally, you should accurately calculate the size of the feeder based on how many animals will be fed in it.
What are the rabbit feeders
There are several types of feeders for rabbits. they differ depending on the feed that is supposed to be laid in them, as well as their shape and design:
- A nursery is a hay feeder, therefore its other common name is a sennik. They are used for daily feeding, so it is advisable to think about the location of this container at the stage of manufacture or purchase of the cage. It is undesirable to mount it on the door, because when rabbits are born, they can climb directly into the container. Therefore, when opening the cell, they risk falling to the floor. On the other hand, since hay is added every day, the nursery should be set next to the door.
- Very convenient bunker feeders in use are used to feed granulated and grain feed to animals. Mixtures are poured through a small hole, and as the food is eaten, new portions are poured automatically under their own weight. Such containers are mounted along the walls one by one or 2-3.
- Traditional bowls and cups are used to serve fresh root vegetables. Often grain is also poured into them. Such a feeding trough is easy to take out and rinse, but rabbits quickly overturn it, so most often the grain scatters in the cage.
- Finally, flute feeders are versatile products, as they are suitable for feeding hay, for filling with grain, as well as root crops. They are also used for feeding compound feed.
The simplest plastic canister feeder.
The farm should have all kinds of feeders, since each of them is convenient in its own way. In addition, many of them are interchangeable. if one structure breaks, it can be replaced by another.
Materials and Tools
To make feeders, you will need improvised materials and tools, since most often they are made from traditional materials:
- for wood feeders you will need plywood, boards, wooden blocks;
- metal feeders are made from pipes or from a profile; often use thin tin; such products have an incomparable advantage over wooden ones. they do not rot, and animals do not gnaw them;
- finally, very simple options can be made from household items. for example, a feeder from a bottle or from a cup.
To make a feeder you need tools, materials and skill.
Additional materials. strong metal wire, in some cases glass may be needed. Such tools will come in handy:
- drill and drill;
- scissors for metal;
- hammer and nails;
- Ruler and pencil.
DIY feeders: step-by-step instructions
Manufacturing technology in most cases is simple, it depends on the specific product. Below are step-by-step descriptions of how to install the most common rabbit feeders.
A tin can as a rabbit feeder is too small.
It is practically not necessary to make a cup feeder. just put any container with smooth edges. It is only important to consider that they are easily overturned by animals, so care should be taken to secure the cup in the cage. There are several options:
- Wrap wire to the bars of the cage for the protruding parts (they can be done in advance).
- Attach the hooks to the cup, hang on the rods and bend the hooks as much as possible.
- Screw the bottom to the bottom frame of the cage. you can make one feeding trough for 2 adjacent cells, but then you need to take a large cup.
Despite its simplicity, such a feeder is wide enough. rabbits will begin to sprinkle food. And it’s not so convenient to clean it, especially if you screw it to the cage. you have to constantly disassemble the structure.
This product is constructed of wooden sheets and upholstered with tin on the surface (can be left without finishing).
The algorithm is as follows:
- Outlines are made on a sheet of iron in accordance with the drawings, the details are cut along the contour.
- Outlines are also made on plywood sheets, and they are all sawn according to the drawing: bottom, 2 side walls, rear and front wall, bearing cross member.
- Cut sheets of metal are bent manually in accordance with the intended lines.
- Tin sheets are attached to the wooden parts.
- Then all parts of the structure are knocked together.
All feeders can be used for breeding rabbits of the following breeds:
You can make a bunker feeder even faster. only from metal parts:
- Pre-cut out the layout of the paper, which is checked so that there are no gaps and protruding parts.
- Based on these details, the marking is transferred to a galvanized metal sheet (thickness 0.4-0.7 mm).
- All parts are cut out, the necessary folds are made: two side parts, a bottom, a front and a back wall.
- All the necessary holes for rivets are made.
- The parts are assembled in a single structure and fastened with rivets.
A tin hopper feeder is assembled in a couple of hours and lasts a very long time.
Such a feeder can be made in just 2 hours. Its advantage is that it is possible to fill up the feed immediately with a reserve, and thanks to the inclined surface, the feed will gradually fall off as the animals eat the next portion.
You can put hay, grain, and root crops in this feeder. They make it from metal or wood. The standard sizes for feeding several rabbits at the same time are from 50 to 100 cm. Installation technology is as follows:
- First of all, it is important to determine the design option, for which you can study the drawings and photos.
- If you make a wooden structure, you can take 6 boards: 2 for the longitudinal walls, and 4 for the ends.
- For 1 end, 2 identical side parts are taken and nailed together at an angle to make an equilateral pentagon.
- Long sides are attached to each other at an angle so that the bottom is narrow. then it will be convenient for rabbits to eat from such a feeder.
The feeder can be made from the gutter.
In the simplest case, you can take a piece of pipe (plastic or metal), the diameter of which is 100-150 mm, and cut the upper part, and close one hole so that the feed does not spill out.
Feeding trough Maklyakova
This design was developed by the farmer Evgeni Maklyakov. This is a type of bunker feeder, and it can also be made from a sheet of galvanized iron.
The technology is as follows:
- In accordance with the drawings, the outline is made: 2 side walls, a jumper, an inner wall and a supporting bar, on which rabbits will rest.
- All details are cut out, bent (work needs to be done on the table).
- Holes are made for the connection, as well as a series of holes below, so that small debris and dust are poured down.
- All parts are riveted.
The convenience of the feeder consists in the ability to fill several types of feed at once.
This version of the feeder is not only one of the most affordable, but also practical: the camera consists of 2 bins, you can fill up 2 types of feed.
Zolotukhin method feeders
Another popular version of the product was developed by domestic farmer Nikolai Zolotukhin, who has been breeding rabbits for several decades and during this time created author’s versions of not only feeders, but also cages.
Conveniently! One of the feeders is inserted directly into the door, which is very convenient, because space is saved, and there is no need to constantly open and close the door to sprinkle food or clean the container. The basis of the product is galvanized sheets of iron, as well as wooden side parts (2 pieces).
The technique is as follows:
- Two identical wooden side panels are cut in size in accordance with the drawings.
- Outlines are made on a metal sheet (tin is also suitable) and is bent along pre-drawn lines.
- The side parts and the metal workpiece are fastened with nails and self-tapping screws.
- The feeder is attached directly to the door frame. Previously, a grid is mounted in the frame. it should not cover the entire space so that the rabbits have free access to the groove (you can reach the wooden side parts).
The feeder was developed by an experienced rabbit breeder Zolotukhin.
Plastic bottle feeder
This is the easiest option. you only need a plastic bottle, wire and a sharp knife or scissors.
The technology is as follows:
- A standard bottle of 1.5 liters is taken.
- A rectangle with dimensions of 200,000 mm is cut out on the main part (i.e., not the bottom and the neck).
- Using a wire, the feeder is attached to the rods of the cage in two places, and you can fill the feed.
Note! It is important to ensure that the edges of the feeder do not have any burrs, and it is better to make the corners not straight, but rounded.
A bottle feeder is the easiest, but short-lived option.
Tips from rabbit breeders
The advice of practicing rabbit breeders comes down to the fact that feeders and drinking bowls are much easier to make on their own. such products will cost not only cheaper, but they can also be adapted to the size of a particular cage and for a certain number of rabbits.
Michael. I recommend using a feeding trough according to the design of Zolotukhin. it is very convenient to hang it on the door and just pour the food. Such a feeder is easily removed and cleaned. In addition, it is very roomy. you can add grain every 3-4 days.
Boris For some time I used ordinary cups, because of inexperience, but rabbits constantly like to turn them over. Then there was a bad experience with wooden products. You can make them quickly, but the rabbits gradually grind them. As a result, I came to the point of making everything out of metal and tin sheets. the main thing is to make sure that there are no sharp corners! This is very important. more than once there were cases when rabbits scratched their faces and paws.
Victor. A very convenient bunker feeder, and especially its improved version: Maklyakova feeder. Two chambers. this is optimal for rabbits: in one carrot. In another grain, and hay can be in a regular bunker.
If you strictly follow the drawings, then you can make rabbit feeders in a matter of hours, and they will last for more than one year.