Any breeder understands that the choice of drinking bowls for rabbits should be approached responsibly. After all, it is important not only to provide pets with constant free access to water, but the devices themselves must be reliable, hygienic and comfortable.
Owners of small farms often use improvised materials. ordinary tin cans and bowls. as dishes for animals. However, this is far from the best option, since the liquid in them is quickly contaminated, and restless animals can turn over the tank and remain without water for a long time. We offer you to consider what drinking bowls are and how to easily and quickly make them yourself at home.
Types of drinkers
Modern farmers most often use the following types of drinking structures:
Each of the presented types of devices has its advantages and disadvantages. By comparing them, you can choose the most suitable option based on individual needs:
If you decide to make a device for delivering water to rabbits yourself, pay attention to the following points:
- safety. all products placed in the animal’s cage (feeders, drinking bowls, etc.) must be free of sharp corners and burrs;
- garbage protection;
- sufficient volume (at least 1 liter, this is exactly what is required for one rabbit per day).
- convenience for animals;
- reliability and simplicity in leaving.
Brief Manufacturing Instructions
Rabbit breeders-craftsmen came up with many options for making various types of drinkers with their own hands. Depending on the type of device selected and the materials used, you may need to:
- sharp knife or scissors;
- wire for fastening structures;
When using plastic bottles, it is recommended to take containers with a volume of at least 1.5-2 liters for one animal and 5-6 liters for several rabbits. You should also give preference to products made of dark plastic. the liquid in such a dish will retain freshness for longer and will not bloom.
Let’s move on to a detailed description of the most interesting options:
The simplest and most affordable solution, for which almost any plastic or metal container is suitable. It is enough to choose the container of the right size, taking into account the area of the cell and the number of its inhabitants. If you decide to use a can of canned food, you need to wash it well and treat the top so that there are no sharp edges and chipping.
The main disadvantage of such products is their instability and frequent overturning. To fix the capacity, you can make a simple mount:
- drive into the side wall of the cage at a small height above each other two nails with a distance corresponding to the height of the sides of the prepared dishes;
- bend the nails into horizontal loops;
- insert a drinker between them;
- pass the long nail through the upper loop with the head up, so that the lower end rests against the bottom of the container.
A hole is made in the bottle cap for the nipple (or butterfly valve). It is more practical to screw the nipple not into the bottle itself, but put it at the end of a rubber or plastic tube of the desired length. Then the water tank can be attached with a wire to the outer wall of the mesh cage or fixed more securely on a wooden surface with clamps made of sheet metal and bolted with screws.
- The bottle with the liquid is turned over and placed as close to the bowl as possible, but so that the neck does not touch the surface of its bottom.
- Due to the pressure difference, a certain amount of water will pour into the container, closing the neck. The liquid level will be maintained in a constant automatic mode. water enters the bowl as the animals quench their thirst.
- Fasten the bottle from the outside of the cage using clamps.
The bottom of the inverted bottle can be cut so that it is convenient to add water to it, but you will have to cover the top with something to prevent various debris from getting into it.
An experienced farmer shares tips on how to build a reliable and easy-to-care design to provide rabbits with water:
Automatic (for large livestock)
In this case, you need a plastic tank with a volume of at least 10 l, a rubber or plastic tube and nipples according to the number of cells:
- The water tank is placed next to the cells or aviary at the height necessary to create sufficient pressure.
- A tube is connected to the tank, pulled between the cells.
- Holes are made in the tube opposite each cell, where narrower hoses with nipples are inserted.
The purity of drinking bowls for rabbits of any decorative and productive breeds is of great importance in maintaining their health. Therefore, the water tank must be regularly, at least twice a week, cleaned from the inside using detergents (preferably natural) and a hard washcloth. If a regular plastic bottle is used as a container, the easiest way is to replace it with a new one. Bowls of cup and vacuum drinkers need to be washed daily with soap or soda solutions.
In the cold season, the liquid in the systems sometimes freezes, which significantly complicates the life of farmers and their pets. If the rabbits are kept on the street, then it is advisable to think in advance about the possibility of warming drinking structures. To do this, you can wrap the water tank with a warm cloth or use an aquarium thermostat to heat it.