In order to raise rabbits, it is important to provide them with access to clean water for drinking. To do this, you need to use a drinking bowl for rabbits. This article will talk about what drinking bowls for rabbits exist, and what are their features.
At first glance, it may seem that the rabbits will have enough of the liquid that they receive by eating greens and root vegetables from their feeder. However, this is actually a wrong idea. To provide them with water, it is necessary to install drinkers for the puffers.
Drinking bowls for rabbits
First of all, the idea arises of using plastic or metal containers. However, rabbits can chew on plastic, and overturn homemade metal bowls.
Therefore, choosing a drinker for your rabbits, you must take into account the following conditions:
- We must strive to ensure that the water for drinking animals should remain clean and fresh as long as possible.
- After installation, you need to make sure that the structure is installed securely and can not tip over.
We must remember! Rabbits are very mobile creatures, and an unsecured bowl will certainly be overturned by them.
- Fuzzies need fresh, clean water, but over time it will become dirty and stain the bowl. Therefore, a caring owner should regularly clean and wash it. When choosing, it is important to consider how easy it is to wash the drinker.
- The animals should not be able to gnaw on the details of the device. If there are plastic elements available to them here, it will not stand idle for a long time.
- The safety of this device for animals must be ensured. There should be no sharp parts that could be injured.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the volume of the tank. Sooner or later, the domestic rabbit drinks the liquid intended for him, then the supply will need to be replenished. It is necessary that the volume be such that the replenishment is carried out no more than once a day.
Interesting. The mechanism should be understood for rabbits and not cause difficulties in the process of drinking.
What are the drinkers
There are several varieties of such devices. They are further discussed in more detail.
This option can be considered the most simple and natural solution to the question of how to water rabbits. Here we are talking about putting a container in a cage. It could be a mug, a tin can or something like that. Sometimes such devices are made of plastic sewer pipes. Rabbits will drink from it.
Although this option looks simple enough, it has more disadvantages than advantages.
The only advantage of a cup drinking bowl is that on the farm such a container is easy to make from improvised material.
Here are the negative aspects of such a decision:
- Keep in mind that animal movements are often unpredictable. It is likely that they may accidentally overturn the mug set for them.
- When rabbits are watered, foreign objects get into the bowl. This can be their wool, dirt, food debris, animal waste products and other things.
- If the bowl turns upside down, the liquid will spill onto the litter, moistening it. Rabbits will not only be left without drinking, but can also get sick from this.
If there are no other options, you can use a cup drinker. But, if possible, it is better to put a better one.
The principle of operation of such a device is as follows. There is a container with water. A tube comes out of the bottom of it. Liquid does not flow out of the tube because the drain is covered by a ball. The rabbit comes to drink and touches the ball with its tongue, which moves away and allows the fluid to flow out.
Note! In this case, you need to think about how to teach a rabbit to a nipple drinker. Usually, a nipple is pressed with a finger, then a fluffy nose is touched with a wet finger.
Typically, such a container is attached to the outside of the cell.
Cons are as follows:
- In winter, the nipple drip device will freeze and will not be usable.
- To purchase the original device will have to spend a certain amount of money.
- Usually a limited volume of liquid can be used in it. Therefore, even if one device is used only for two puffies, then water will often have to be added to the tank.
- When replenishing the stock, you will need to unscrew the lid. For a nipple drinker, this process is quite tedious.
- Over time, the cap may begin to leak.
However, these shortcomings are excessively offset by the following advantages:
- Rabbits, when drinking from such a drinker, cannot in any way pollute it.
- You can easily control how much fluid is left. If necessary, it is easy to replenish its stock.
- Sometimes it becomes necessary to make fluffies take certain medications. This will be easy to do if thrown into the tank so that they dissolve there. Similarly, you can feed the animals with vitamins.
- When animals drink liquid, they have no way to spray it. This makes it possible to spend it more economically.
- Such a device is not difficult to manufacture using independent efforts.
The principle of operation of this device can be described as follows. The water bottle is turned over and put in a metal or plastic container. In this case, a little fluid oozes from the neck, which is pressed to the surface. As necessary, stocks must be replenished. In this case, the bottle is attached, as indicated in the drawing, from the outside of the cage. The capacity is a rectangular box, part of which is inside the cell.
There are disadvantages here:
- Various garbage can easily get here.
- If the bottle deflects or flips over, all liquid will flow out of it.
The advantages of using a vacuum drinking bowl are as follows:
- This device can be made independently.
- The liquid that gradually pours out of the bottle remains fresh and clean.
Using a Drinker
Unlike previously considered designs, this one is designed to serve many animals at the same time. Typically, such automatic drinkers are commonly used in large farms.
Car drinker for rabbits is arranged as follows. In each cell metal or plastic baths are placed. They supply water through the pipe. For each row of cells, the horizontal part of the tube is installed, from which a tap extends into each cell. All horizontal sections of pipes are interconnected and with the reservoir from which water flows.
Interesting. To replenish water, a special design with a float is provided. It acts in such a way that when there is too little water left, automatic replenishment occurs.
Cons of such devices:
- This system is a rather complex design. To make it, you need to have the appropriate work skills.
- The process of creating a car drink on your own requires significant labor and financial resources.
Pros are expressed in the following:
- If you install an auto-drinker, this will allow access to water for a large number of rabbits at once.
- With this method of organization, the animals receive clean and fresh water.
An important disadvantage of nipple devices is that in winter the water in them freezes. As a result, rabbits cannot receive drinking water unless they are warmed up. In winter drinking bowls, a solution to this problem is provided. It is expressed in the fact that for winter heating a special electronic device is used, which runs on batteries and carries out heating.
Such devices are relatively expensive, but allow rabbits to live during the winter period.
Do-it-yourself ways to make a drinker
There are several different types of drinkers that you can make yourself.
In this case, the manufacture of a homemade drinker for a bottle for rabbits is based on a large plastic bottle from under the water. It will need to be used by installing in a horizontal position.
In the middle of the bottle you need to cut a round hole, the dimensions of which approximately correspond to the head of the rabbit. They must be such that the animal can calmly stick its head in and drink the water that will be inside the bottle.
It is necessary to attach the drinker to the wall of the cage. For this purpose, a half liter bottle is most often used.
Note! The disadvantage of a structure made in this way is its fragility. Often young growth likes to gnaw plastic, which rabbits can tear. This leads to the fact that such a drinking bowl will become unusable relatively soon.
The advantages of this option are as follows:
- It is made of available material at hand.
- It is easy to wash.
- The manufacturing process of this design is not difficult.
Vacuum drinking bowl
For the manufacture of materials required:
- Plastic bottle. For this purpose, one with a volume of 1.5 or 2 liters is suitable.
- It will take a little wire to fix the bottle.
- We need a container that is necessary for rabbits to drink from it. A bowl made of metal is best suited for this purpose.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
- The bottle prepared in advance must be filled with water and closed with a lid.
- You need to put a metal tank where water will flow to drink the animal.
- The bottle must be attached upside down with wire to the wall of the cage. In this case, the lid should fall into a metal container so that it fits almost flush to the bottom.
- Now you need to unscrew the bottle cap a little.
The principle of action is as follows. When there is little water in the bowl, the cap begins to lag, and water spills into the container. As soon as there is enough water, it will stop flowing out until the rabbit drinks water.
The disadvantage of this design is that dirt and debris can get into the drinking bowl, which will damage the health of rabbits.
The advantage is that there is no need to constantly add water. In addition, the manufacture of this design does not require significant investment of time and money.
Advanced Vacuum Drinker
As you know, if there are plastic parts in the design, then the rabbits are likely to gnaw them. Therefore, in a vacuum bowl, the bottle and cap may be damaged. To prevent this from happening, you will need to do the following:
- You need to make a rectangular box that will protect the bottle. For this, you can use sheets of stainless steel or galvanized iron.
- Sharp corners must be sharpened so that the pussies do not get hurt.
On a note. After installing the box, the drinker will become much more durable.
Another drinker option
To create, you need to prepare the following materials:
- A plastic bottle that will serve as a reservoir of water. For this purpose, you can use one whose volume is 1.5 or 2 liters.
- You will need the body of an old ballpoint pen.
- A small diameter screw is required. It is necessary to choose its size so that it passes into the hole of the ballpoint pen without a gap.
- A wire for attaching a bottle to the cell wall.
- Bowl for water drainage.
Making a drinker for rabbits with your own hands is as follows:
- A hole is made in the bottle cap so that a ballpoint pen with a screw inserted into it passes right through it.
- The handle is installed and the joint is firmly glued.
- The cork is twisted.
- Fix the position of the bottle with wire.
- A hole is cut in the upper part, through which water will be replenished.
The principle of operation is that when the rabbit touches the screw, the screw moves inward and frees up space for water.
Drinker care and cleaning
Drinker care is very important. This is primarily due to the fact that drinking dirty water can lead to diseases among rabbits.
Drinking care is very important.
Care is carried out as follows:
- Carefully monitor water pollution. If this happens, you need to clean the tank from which the animals drink.
- The bowl should be washed daily. It is advisable to use a washing solution.
- Bottle cleaning also needs attention. In fact, the water that they charge it with is not perfectly pure, it contains certain impurities. They will gradually be deposited on the walls of the bottle. Therefore, it is recommended to clean it several times a week.
To clean the bottle, you need to remove it and pour water out of it. Then you need to take a hard sponge and rinse this container with some detergent from the inside.
Important! After using detergents, rinse the washed parts of the drinker with plenty of clean water.