You can make a drinker for rabbits with your own hands in just a few minutes. There are complex options that require the creation of a small autonomous animal water supply system: they are used on farms with a large number of rabbits. Detailed step-by-step instructions, drawings and diagrams are in the corresponding section.
What to consider when manufacturing
Regardless of which drinker will be used, you should pay attention to several general requirements:
- The drinker should be convenient for rabbits. a sufficient volume (about a liter), without sharp corners, burrs and other protruding parts that animals can cut themselves into.
- It is better to make the container as protected from the environment as possible so that debris, straw and food debris do not get into the drinker.
- The container should be convenient for filling with water and cleaning.
- The material should be selected based on its durability. metal and plastic products are suitable, and the wood will quickly rot from constant contact with water.
- Finally, before you figure out how to make a drinker, you need to consider how it will be attached to the cage, wall or floor, so that rabbits cannot turn it over and fill the floor.
The specific design is selected based on whether the container is intended for adults or young animals, as well as how many rabbits are supposed to be fed from the same container.
Varieties of drinking bowls for rabbits
All factory options, as well as drinkers made by yourself, can have a similar design or differ from each other in some features. Today, there are more than 10 types of such devices, and all of them can be divided into 2 large groups:
- Cup drinkers. The simplest option, which is the usual containers of different shapes and sizes (depending on the number of animals). The main task is to correctly attach the cup to the floor or wall of the cage to avoid overturning. To do this is quite simple. bowls are fastened with screws, nails, loops, clamps and other improvised means.
- Automatic and semi-automatic devices. They are commonly used on farms where a large number of rabbits are kept. Nevertheless, it is quite possible to make them with your own hands. for example, nipple drinkers or vacuum drinkers can be made according to the step-by-step instructions described in the next section.
There are more original ideas for creating drinkers. For example, if the farm contains quite a lot of animals, and simply adding new portions of water is rather difficult, you can create a whole water supply system, like on a professional farm.
DIY drinkers for rabbits: step-by-step instructions
The following are drawings of the drinking bowl, as well as several finished product options with a detailed description of their manufacturing technology. At home, you can make such varieties of drinking bowls:
- from cups, bowls, basins;
- from plastic bottles;
- universal system for a large number of rabbits.
The simplest drinkers
These devices can be made to beginner rabbit breeders in just a few minutes. You need to take a bottle, cut in the middle a circle with a diameter of 2-3 cm larger than the face of a rabbit, fix it with a wire in a cage at a slight angle and fill it with water.
You can complicate the drinker from a plastic bottle a bit, but get a practical design from which water can not pour out physically. For this, a bottle with fastenings to the wall is used, and instead of a neck a throttle (limiter) with a valve is placed through which animals will receive water.
Attention! Drinkers made of plastic bottles should be replaced at least once a month. otherwise the water begins to stagnate, slightly rot and acquire odors due to the long-term presence in a closed container of artificial materials.
A nipple drinker is a fully automatic device in which water is supplied using a nipple installed in the neck of a container.
The manufacturing procedure is as follows:
- First you need to purchase a nipple and an angle extension for easier installation of the nipples in the bottle and in the direction of the animals. You will also need a regular rubber hose and nipple nipple.
- In the lid of the bottle you need to make a hole for the hose so that it seals tightly into it. Reinforce any gaps with a rubber gasket.
- A nipple is inserted into the hose.
- The bottle is filled with water and attached to pre-mounted clamps.
Tip. Nipple is a convenient water supply system for rabbits, therefore, according to this principle, you can equip not only one bottle, but the whole pipe. Water will come from one vat, and the turns of the pipe and nipples should be brought into each cell, as shown in the photo.
Vacuum drinking bowl
This is a very simple and at the same time practical version of the drinking bowl. You only need a plastic bottle, a bowl and clamps for fastening:
- A liter or one and a half liter bottle is thoroughly washed.
- A metal or plastic bowl is attached to the floor of the cage with a clamp, self-tapping screws or simply held mechanically by bars of the grate.
- The cork is unscrewed at the bottle, water is poured to the top of it.
- A wire is attached to the rods of a self-made cell.
- The bottle is turned over (you need to cover the neck with your fingers) and is inserted into this cable clamp.
- The wire should be tightened so that between the neck and the surface of the bowl there is a small gap through which water will drain into the container as it is spent.
Universal drinker for large herds
For such a drinker you will need a little more materials:
- plastic pipes;
- storage tanks made of stainless metal or plastic;
- shutoff valve
- actually drinking tanks with a sink;
- fasteners for pipes and tanks.
The system is manufactured in accordance with the figure below:
- In each two or three-tier cage, a container is mounted and attached to the wall or floor.
- A pipe is laid next to each tier of cells with which each drinker is connected through a tee.
- Pipes go to storage tanks (1.2 or more as needed).
- A float plan is mounted in the tank to regulate the supply of new portions of water.
- Tanks are connected to a pipe through which water can be supplied (it is closed to a central source of water supply).
- A shut-off valve is mounted in the pipe.
- The entire system is thoroughly tested for functionality and tightness of joints, after which water can be supplied.
Attention! If there is no central source of water supply, new portions of water can be poured independently or using a pump into storage tanks.
A similar design can be built for a small number of decorative rabbits, the care of which will be simplified. In this case, they do not use tanks, but ordinary one and a half liter plastic bottles and funnels, as shown in the photo.
Why it is worth choosing home-made designs
Beginning rabbit breeders, as a rule, don’t start many animals at once, therefore they don’t need to create any complex drinking systems for rabbits. From this point of view, it is quite possible for them to master some simple techniques for making containers with their own hands. The benefits of homemade options are obvious:
- They are several times cheaper than purchased ones. in fact, they are even free, because they are made from improvised, unnecessary materials.
- A home-made drinker can be ideally adapted to the characteristics of your own farm: the number of rabbits, young animals or adults, the design of the cage (to successfully fit the container into a corner or another place).
- Finally, making your own device is a rewarding experience that will find its application in the household. In fact, many variations of drinking bowls for rabbits with some changes are great for ducks, geese and other pets.
Therefore, even a novice can take up independent production of drinking bowls, and acquiring more expensive devices is justified if the farmer bred a large number of rabbits, and his costs are guaranteed to be justified.