What are the types of drinkers?
To choose the most convenient container for drinking, consider what drinkers most often used by farmers today:
- out of the bottle.
Each type of drinking bowls for rabbits has its pros and cons. By comparing them, you can choose the most suitable option.
Cup capacity for water
The most common way to give pets a drink in the last century is to simply put a cup of water in their cage (a bowl, a can, a mug, and so on). Today, this method is used less and less, since it has more minuses than pluses. How to make do-it-yourself cages for rabbits with a photo.
- a bowl for rabbits is often turned over due to the frisky movements of animals in the cage;
- food, wool and eared vital products easily get into it, the contents quickly become contaminated and become unfit for drinking;
- an inverted bowl deprives pets of access to water, and moistens the litter, and this can provoke a disease of the whole family.
- finding a suitable cup on the farm is quite easy, so this method is completely inexpensive.
Using nipple drinkers for rabbits is convenient. The principle of their action is based on the fact that touching the tongue to the ball of the nipple, the pet receives water, which enters the tube from the tank.
- in winter, the nipple freezes, and water access becomes impossible;
- buying a fixture will require some cost.
- animals cannot pollute or overfill water; it always remains clean;
- you see the liquid level and, if necessary, you can change it;
- it is convenient to add drugs or soluble vitamins to the container;
- rabbits economically consume water, since it does not splash, but flows directly into their mouth;
- these do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits can be made from improvised materials.
This type of breeders do on their own. To do this, put the water bottle with its open neck down on the container. At the same time, part of the liquid is poured out, and pets can drink it from the bowl. As you drink, water is poured into the container.
- food or garbage can get into the bowl;
- the bottle may tip over and water will flow out;
- in winter there is a chance of freezing of the vacuum drinking bowl.
- this drinker can be made independently;
- the liquid in the bottle remains clean, easily refills if necessary;
- manufacturing of vacuum equipment does not take much time.
In large farms, drinkers for rabbits are most often used. With their help, dozens of individuals are provided with water around the clock. The principle of operation is based on the fact that from a large central reservoir, the contents are piped to the bowls located in the cells. The system is equipped with a float, which is lowered together and the liquid level in the tank, which allows you to replenish the cells in the cells with fresh water.
- Making a drinker for rabbits requires some skills and financial costs.
- By setting up an automatic water supply system, you can drink a whole herd at the same time, and this significantly saves time on caring for animals;
- fresh and clean water enters the cells.
Out of the bottle
This option is proposed to be used by craftsmen who keep decorative rabbits at home. According to the principle of action, the design of the bottle resembles a nipple. Such drinkers for rabbits with their own hands according to the photo and drawings are easy to make.
- costly acquisition of materials for the manufacture of one design;
- if you make nipple drinkers for rabbits with your own hands from a bottle for ten or more individuals, the cost and time to manufacture increase several times.
- the equipment provides the home decorative beast with clean drink at any time.
Several ways to make do-it-yourself drinkers
When you have decided on the type of drinking bowl that is most suitable for your pets, you may have a question. how to make a drinking bowl for rabbits yourself? Let us turn to the advice of experienced rabbit breeders.
Method number 1
If the cup method is right for you, then you don’t have to do anything with your own hands. It is enough to put a plastic or metal container in the cage, which will be suitable in size.
For one individual, it is better to choose a smaller bowl, and if several rabbits live in the cage, then a container will need a larger diameter.
Method number 2
It is better to fix plastic containers on the outside of the cage so that pets cannot gnaw it.
Method number 3
To make a vacuum drinking bowl with your own hands, you need to prepare a plastic bottle, a bowl with smooth edges and holders. Next, the bowl is fixed at a height of 10 cm from the floor (this is necessary so that the animals do not climb inside). Above the bowl fasten the bottle with its neck down.
The neck must not come into contact with the container, otherwise water will not leak.
The water tank must be secured outside the pets’ access area, otherwise they will gnaw it in a few days. To learn how to make do-it-yourself drinking bowls for rabbits.
Method number 4
In order to make automatic drinking bowls for a large number of rabbits, prepare a plastic tank with a volume of at least 10 liters, a plastic or rubber tube, several nipples. A tank of water is installed near the cells; a plastic pipe is brought to the cells from it. Holes are made in it, placing them opposite each cell. A narrow hose with a nipple is inserted into each hole.
Features of a vacuum bottle drinking machine made of plastic bottles
There are several types of drinking bowls for rabbits, however, one of the most popular options are vacuum, made from ordinary plastic bottles, which have the function of automatic filling of water.
This device is a device made of a plastic bottle turned upside down, filled with water and mounted on a special stand (bath, bowl), which will periodically be filled with liquid.
As the water in the bowl decreases, a fresh portion of the resources will come from the bottle.
The key advantages of a vacuum drinking bowl over other types are:
- ease of manufacture;
- ease and usability;
- reliable protection of the liquid from contamination, foreign objects, etc.;
- unpretentiousness in leaving and simplicity in clarification;
- low cost of production and low price of materials.
Did you know? In some Australian states, it is forbidden to breed and sell rabbits. Violation of the ban is punishable by a rather large fine.
The principle of operation of such devices is quite simple, it is based on the fact that a plastic bottle turned upside down does not empty immediately, but gradually. Water will leave until its level in the substituted bowl (bath) is equal to the level of the neck cut.
In such cases, air will not enter the tank, which means that it will not be able to replace water, as a result of which its supply will cease.
At the same time, a relative vacuum forms in the upper part of the bottle, which keeps the column of water from escaping. When the rabbits begin to drink from the bowl, the liquid level drops below the neck of the neck, and the air again enters the bottle, thus flowing resumes.
Water is supplied until it again approaches the lower edge of the neck.
The peculiarity of a vacuum automatic drinker is that the water in the bowl will always remain at the same level, without dropping or rising above the neck cut (one of the laws of physics is triggered here). Of course, provided that the bottom and walls of the device have no damage and holes.
Read more about breeding of decorative rabbits, in particular about the features of keeping the Belgian giant rabbits.
DIY vacuum rabbit drinker for do-it-yourselfers
Making a vacuum-type drinking bowl for rabbits is easy. This will require a little effort, a minimum of financial costs and desire.
Drinker size and requirements
Rabbits need fresh water almost constantly. They drink up to 1 liter of liquid per day, moreover, it should be absolutely clean, without the presence of dirt, as this quickly affects the general well-being of the animal.
Since the pets are quite active and mobile, it is not difficult for them to turn over the water tank. When organizing a drinking bowl, care should be taken to securely fix it.
Important! It is recommended to constantly monitor the liquid level in the drinker. For vacuum models, it should be at least 0.5 liters. In addition, a home-made device must meet the following requirements:
- Security. The drinker should not contain sharp corners, burrs. It is forbidden to use cans or tin cans for manufacturing.
- Protection. The container must be protected from dirt, food and other debris, otherwise it will have to be cleaned several times a day.
- Convenience to animals. The system should be understandable for the rabbit and easy to use.
- Adequate amount of water. The capacity of the drinking bowl should satisfy the needs of the animals for a day, for one rabbit. 0.5-1 l with a small margin. With a large number of individuals, you need to install several drinkers or one large one for 5-6 liters.
A vacuum drinking bowl is attached to the outside of the cage with a few clamps. It is recommended to install the tank at such a height that the animals have unhindered access to the device, can easily drink, but at the same time, cannot climb into it.
As a rule, 10 cm above the floor is considered the optimal height for placement of the structure.
Check out such popular rodents as: guinea pig, chipmunk, squirrel, jerboa, rats, meadow dogs, dormouse, hamsters (Dzungarian, wild and Syrian), as well as capybara.
Necessary tools for making
In the process of making the drinker yourself, you will need the following tools:
- wire for securing the structure;
- sheet metal for the manufacture of a protective box;
- the board on which the structure will be mounted.
The choice of material for manufacturing
In order to make a device for supplying water to rabbits, you should prepare the appropriate materials, the main of which is a plastic bottle, with a volume of 1.5-2 liters. If you need to drink a large family of rabbits, you can use bottles of 5-6 liters.
Experienced craftsmen recommend giving preference to bottles made of dark plastic, since the liquid in them does not bloom longer and retains a fresh smell.
For vacuum models, you also need to stock up on the tank where the liquid will flow. It can be a metal bowl, a small special bath.
Drinking bowl design
Experts recommend novice rabbit breeders to make the simplest vacuum drinker from a PET bottle of 1.5-2 liters. To do this, you can use the following drawings:
where 1 is a hoop for attaching a bottle, 2 is a bottle, 3 is a cork, 4 is an elastic band (tube), 5 is a drinking bowl for rabbits.
However, as practice shows, the device of the vacuum model is so simple that even an inexperienced master can cope with its manufacture without the use of any drawings.
Important! A vacuum drinking bowl made of plastic is a simple, cheap, but short-lived device. Animals often grind such a device, therefore, to extend its life, a special box of sheet steel is made to cover the bottle.
Step-by-step instructions for making drinkers from plastic bottles
In the process of manufacturing a vacuum car drinker, you will need the following materials:
- a plastic bottle with a volume of 1.5-2 l;
- capacity from where animals will drink. You can use a metal bowl.
The process of making a drinker looks like this:
- The bottom is cut out of the bottle.
- The bottle is upside down attached to the cage, at a height of 80-90 mm from the floor, using two clamps.
- A bowl or bath is placed under the bottle, but so that the neck does not touch the bottom of the tank a little, thereby not blocking the water supply.
- Gently, not completely, unscrew the lid.
This design is very simple and economical, but will not be able to last for a long time due to the rapid wear of the plastic.
To prevent rabbits from cracking the drinker in the first weeks, it is recommended to improve and strengthen it. For this:
- A box is made from a small sheet of steel or stainless steel, which will cover the bottle.
- The edges of the metal structure are filed to avoid injuring the animals.
- The box together with the bottle is attached to the board and fixed with clamps (screws) to the cage.
- Pour water into the bottle, unscrew the cap and slowly fill the bowl with liquid.
This version of the car drinker will last much longer, the main thing is not to forget to change the water in time and clean the tank.
Important! The bottle itself is also recommended to be changed when its walls turn yellow, and the liquid quickly blooms and becomes an unpleasant odor.
What water to give decorative rabbits
Rabbits need not only a balanced diet, but also a large amount of water. The need for fluid is determined by the mass of the animal, its diet, physiological state, ambient temperature, and air humidity.
Dehydration can cause a number of health problems for rabbits:
- weight loss, decreased activity;
- decreased appetite;
- high fetal mortality;
- cannibalism in rabbits;
- development of some anomalies.
On average, decorative rabbits should be drunk twice a day: morning and evening. In the summer, it is recommended to give the liquid three times, adding another meal in the afternoon. Filtered, settled water at room temperature is an excellent source of moisture.
It is forbidden to water pets with water from lakes, rivers, reservoirs. Preference should be given to clean, fresh, filtered water from a well or, in extreme cases, from a water tap. The amount of water needed by the rabbit will also depend on the amount of feed eaten. The more dry food an animal consumes, the more fluid it needs.
Did you know? Rabbit eyes are designed so that animals can see what is happening behind without turning their heads.
Pregnant or lactating rabbits have a greater need for water than other animals. For growing rabbits, a portion of the liquid is calculated based on body weight: 100 ml of water is needed per 1 kg of weight.
If you are breeding rabbits on your farm or on farms, the skill of making vacuum drinking bowls yourself will certainly come in handy. This will not only save money, but also equip a simple, convenient water supply system for pets, any elements of which can be changed in a matter of minutes using improvised materials. The main thing in the production process is the quality of the structure and its safety for animals.
Requirements and specifications
Access to clean and fresh water is a prerequisite for maintaining the health and activity of the rodent. Therefore, the installation of the correct capacity is an important point when caring for animals. Conventional bowls, bowls and plates are ineffective because they have a lot of disadvantages.
If the rabbit breeder decides to make drinkers for rabbits with his own hands, then before starting work, you should familiarize yourself with the requirements for the designs:
- A quick and convenient replenishment of fluid is necessary;
- The volume of the container must be at least a liter;
- It is necessary to isolate water from pollution and dust;
- Reliable fixation is necessary since rabbits can tip the container;
- Take into account comfort in use.
It is imperative to attach the device in a reliable manner, since rabbits are very active animals, capable of overturning the container even with a rather large habitat. Therefore, it is not recommended to use ordinary bowls, plastic plates and stands for flower pots. Massive, heavy containers should be chosen.
Types of drinkers and car drinkers
There are three types of drinking bowls that are most common among rabbit breeders. Each type has positive and negative qualities. Before purchasing a design, it is important to pay attention to the material, quality, consider all the pros and cons. The size of the farm is also taken into account. The most popular types of drinkers:
- Cup type design. At home, this type is quite common because of its simplicity and cost. Clay plates and bowls, tins, plastic bottles are placed in the cage. It is important to fix the cup structures, for example, to hang a weight on the other side. Some materials allow the use of screws and self-tapping screws as a retainer. A negative quality of this type is quick contamination, the ability to use containers as a toilet, the need to change water several times a day. You should also wash the container every day. Trash from the floor of the cage, feces and dust often gets into low plates.
- Semi-automatic type. The design independently compensates for the lack of liquid from containers that are suitable for this, for example, from a plastic bottle. The design bowl is fixed in the cage with the possibility of removal.
- Automatic drinkers are the most common type. Used in farms. A stainless steel tank is filled with water. The design provides a tank to which the tubes are attached. Tubes are distributed in cells. When the animal touches the nipple installed in the tube, water enters. This type of automatic drinker is easy to use on large farms. There are also similar designs for pets. The creation of this type of design requires skills and financial investments. The pluses include the number of pets that are simultaneously provided with clean water.
- Nipple look. a common option for home decorative rabbits and small farms. Not suitable for use in places with low temperatures, as the ball freezes and blocks the flow of water. The cost of equipment is quite high. The dignity of the species is the maintenance of clean water, the ability to regulate the water level, add vitamins and medicines, the economical use of water (since the crawl does not spill and does not spoil the liquid). This type of design can be recreated from improvised tools yourself.
It should be remembered that in large farms, installing a large tank, care must be taken that the water does not freeze in the winter. It is advisable to maintain a comfortable temperature of the liquid, to prevent hypothermia. Therefore, in winter, drinking tanks are insulated, the liquid is heated if necessary.
The water temperature should be comfortable for the rodent. Therefore, rabbit farmers resort to tricks to heat the water in the tank. The heated drinking bowl is easily made of heat-resistant material and a self-regulating cable. The cable is heated to the desired temperature and heats the water.
Plastic structures and other easily damaged materials to which the rabbit has access quickly become unusable.
Bunker drinking bowls for rabbits are bottles protected by iron sheets on all but one side. On the free side is attached a wire that fixes the bottle. It is necessary to leave a little space on top so that the bottle can be easily filled or removed.
Homemade drinkers for rabbits are an economical option for beginners and experienced rabbit breeders.
The easiest way is to make a device from plastic bottles. The bottle of the required volume is cut so that the crawl has free access to water. The structure is fixed with wire. The downside of this capacity is its fragility. The crawl is able to gnaw the container. The pluses include ease of washing, installation, replacement and cost.
Nipple construction can be made from a plastic bottle. To do this, screw a tube with a ball to the neck and fix it on the cell wall.
Some breeders create drinkers from a sewer pipe. The asbestos-cement pipe is fixed on the cage, after pre-gluing holes from the ends of the pipe (for example, cans of canned food).
A device in the form of a bottle is made of stainless steel. The edges are treated so that the craw is not cut. Such containers are used to strengthen water bottles. Sometimes stainless steel is replaced with galvanized leaves.
Heated drinking bowls can also be made independently using a bucket and a heating element. It is important to ensure that the rodent cannot reach the cable and gnaw it.
For a farm with several rodents, it is recommended to produce structures that supply water to all animals at once.
Among rabbit breeders there are popular vacuum drinking bowls that you can create yourself. The plastic bottle is turned upside down and attached to the cage with wire. Under the neck, the bottles are placed and the bowl is fixed. The bowl serves as a drinking bowl. The neck is set as close to the bowl as possible so that water enters the bowl as needed. The replenishment of liquid in the bottle occurs through the bottom cut out at the top. The stopper can be unscrewed by making a small hole in it, or unscrewed so that the force of water supply is at the desired level.
The disadvantages of the design include:
- Possible water contamination, as the top of the bottle is open. To prevent debris from entering, a visor can be installed over the bottle.
- If not properly fixed, the bottle will turn over and water will spill out.
- In winter, the tank and water in it freeze.
- Easy to make by yourself.
- Easy to change and add fluid.
- Quick creation and installation.
If the container is in a place exposed to cold temperatures, the container is insulated. Winter drinkers are wrapped with cloth or a temperature regulator is installed so that the water temperature is maintained at the required level.