People who decide to start breeding rabbits should approach this initiative with all responsibility. One of the tasks that confront them in the first place, will be the preparation of cages and feeders for rabbits. Which feeders are best used to make them convenient and cost-effective?
Types of Rabbit Feeders
The rabbit feeder itself is an inventory that helps to significantly save the time and effort necessary to maintain a proper diet, and also significantly improves the sanitary and hygienic conditions of the cage. It is important to know that during the day the rabbit’s approach to the feeder can be up to thirty times.
So, you can divide all rabbit feeders into the following types:
Ceramic bowls. These products look beautiful and aesthetically pleasing, but are factory-made. Animals often turn them over.
Their health and weight gain will depend on how you feed the rabbits; for this, read how to properly feed the rabbits in this article.
DIY materials for making rabbit feeders
The recommended material for making do-it-yourself feeders for rabbits is thin tin, as well as other metal (tin) products and profiles. In addition, experienced farmers make extensive use of wood in the manufacture of feeders, including boards and plywood. Can also be used plastic and plexiglass, slate, which are suitable for the manufacture of hopper feeders.
Auxiliary materials include wire and rod, as well as glass. They sewn around the places of the feeders that do not contain metal, which the rabbit can easily gnaw at. In addition, so that the rabbit does not damage its skin, it is recommended to smooth the sharp edges of the feeders and the resulting notches.
Instructions for manufacturing a hopper-type feeder from a can
Starting to make a rabbit feeder with your own hands, you should first make the correct calculations, while having studied the drawings of the future feeders and the cages themselves well in advance. If the choice has stopped on the manufacture of a hopper-type feeder from a can, then it is necessary to stock up on it. A tin three-liter can of tomato paste is best. It is also necessary to prepare for work a drill with a drill and a device for cutting tin.
The tin container is cleaned of contents before starting work. Next, do the following:
- half of the tin can is cut, not across, but along, while the bottom of the can remains intact;
- further in the bottom of the can, many holes are drilled with a drill, and from the remaining cut part of the can, a wall is made and attached to the feeder.
- the finished product is screwed to the door of the cage.
The finished type of construction will look somewhat ugly. However, due to the simplicity of this design and ease of installation, it received undeniable advantages over other types of hopper feeders for rabbits.
DIY galvanized hopper feeder
For experienced tinsmiths who have the necessary tools at hand, to build a hopper feeder from galvanization with their own hands is not difficult. However, a person who does not have skills can make such a feeding trough. The only thing he will need is to observe safety precautions when working with galvanization and arm himself with a detailed diagram (drawing) of the manufacture of the hopper feeder.
The instruction, which allows to make a simple metal galvanized feeder without any problems.
- 1. At the beginning, it is necessary to cut out the details from the sheet of tin according to the drawing. Next, you need to make four cuts on them and use a pair of pliers to bend the sheet along the lines indicated on the drawing.
- 2.To make the sheet bend easily, it is recommended to carefully cut along the fold lines with half a thickness of galvanizing using a knife.
- 3.After the parts are manufactured, it is necessary to assemble the hopper feeder according to the scheme, sawing sharp corners with a file.
In addition to galvanized iron, hopper feeders for rabbits can also be made of slate sheet, plexiglass, plywood, wood or other improvised materials. Consider the manufacture of a rabbit feeder made of wood.
First you need to take measurements of the feeder, which will depend on the size of the cage. Also, do not forget to stock up on quality lumber, the most suitable option of which will be an inch board, which is processed on a planer.
All edges of the wooden structure will have angles of ninety degrees. The height of the feeder was ten centimeters. In general, the designed capacity of the rabbit feeder should be square and have a size of forty by forty centimeters. In total, for the construction of the feeder, eight boards made of an inch board will be required, four of which will be used for the construction of the bottom, and four for the manufacture of boards. Next, bring down the bottom of the feeder and lay it on a flat surface. Attach the prepared sidewalls to its end part by screwing them with wood screws.
Important Tips for Making DIY Rabbit Feeders
When constructing do-it-yourself feeders for rabbits, you should adopt a few tips:
- all constructed equipment, including rabbit utensils, must be practical, easy to care for and hygienic;
- in the manufacture of feeders not of pure metal (tin), it is important to exclude rabbits from nibbling inventory items in advance;
- feed contamination must be minimized;
- the made feeding trough must contain the daily amount of feed, otherwise the rabbits can simply get into it and crap (bunker troughs are an exception to these rules);
- the feeder must be built convenient for your pets;
- fasten the feeders should be firmly to prevent them from turning over or falling.