A do-it-yourself drinker must meet several requirements.
- It is roomy. A drinker designed for one rabbit should hold 1.0-1.5 liters of water (daily rate). The volume of the selected bottle must correspond to the number of rabbits living in one cage.
- Hygienic. A vessel with a supply of water needs a closed one: water will not be contaminated by animal feces, wool and food.
- It is steady. The pendant should be tightly fixed to the cage wall so that rabbits do not overturn a container of water: the wet floor in the cage is the most common cause of limb diseases in these animals.
- Convenient. It is easy for the owner to fill the tank with water, and for the rabbit to drink from it.
Even in the best drinker, the water has the property of “blooming”. In other words, algae appear in it. When this happens, the container must be thoroughly washed and dried. If the "flowering" of water does not stop, it is better to replace the drinker with a new one.
There are several types of drinking bowls for rabbits.
- Cup. Cups, bowls, cans. they are often used as drinking bowls, but they have their drawbacks. Firstly, animals easily flip a bowl of water. Secondly, wool or feces of rabbits can get into an open bowl-type drinking bowl. the water will quickly become contaminated. Experienced breeders do not recommend the use of such tanks when breeding rabbits.
- Nipple (nipple). The current mechanism of the device is represented by a tube with a nipple (ball) inside. When the animal presses on the ball with the tongue, drops of water stand out. Hence the second name. nipple. The mechanism of action is simple and practical. The advantage is that the tank is closed: from the point of view of hygiene, nipple drinkers are the most ergonomic. Unfortunately for rabbits, in winter the water in the tube with the nipple often freezes.
- Vacuum They are also called drip. A bottle of water overturns over the container from which the animal drinks. The liquid from the bottle is poured out gradually (it depends on how quickly the water will drink or evaporate). Vacuum drinkers for rabbits are also protected from excrement and animal hair, but in winter the water in them is also prone to freezing.
So which option to choose? All of them, with proper care, are good. At refined farms, car drinkers are mainly used. complex systems consisting of:
- water tank;
- distribution tank;
- branched system of channels conducted to each cell.
Thus, it is not necessary to buy separate options for each rabbit. Automatic drinkers save time on servicing animals. However, breeders with a small population are unwittingly acquiring similar systems: they are expensive.
Vacuum Drinker Construction
To make a vacuum drinking bowl for rabbits with your own hands, you need a high-quality bottle. Their good containers water poured out in a steady stream, and not jerky. In this case, the bottle does not lose shape (does not bend at the sides).
When choosing a container, it is advisable to give preference to containers made of dark plastic. In bright water, "blooms" faster, so a similar drinker for rabbits will not last as long as we would like.
There is a simple and good way to water the eared ones.
- Between the rods of the cage at a height of 8-10 cm from the floor, a tray designed for drinking is attached.
- On the outside of the cage, a bottle overturns over this tray; it is fastened with thick wire clamps. The neck of the bottle should not touch the bottom of the tray, otherwise water will not enter the drinker.
Such a homemade drinker is easy to manufacture and handle. He will regularly serve his term, providing rabbits with fresh clean water.
Nipple drinker in 10 minutes
- plastic bottle with a volume of 1.0-1.5 liters;
- plastic hose;
- insulating tape;
- nipple noses;
- silicone sealant.
We describe the algorithm for making a nipple drinker for rabbits with their own hands.
- Make a hole in the bottle cap. For this purpose, you can use a screwdriver or skewers heated in a flame for meat.
- Thread the hose into the cap. If the hole diameter is larger than necessary, one end of the tube must be wrapped with electrical tape. In this way, the width necessary for a tight connection is achieved.
- Use sealant. To avoid leaks, the cap at the junction with the tube must be lubricated with sealant (on both sides).
- Insert the spout. The nipple nose (or the cut-off handle body with ball) is inserted into the hose and is also fixed with sealant.
- Secure the drinker. The finished device must be placed on the outside of the cage. In this case, the hose is threaded through the rods inward.
How to train animals
Usually rabbits drink from bowls, cups and other open containers. However, pets brought from the zoo market often do not know how to drink from hanging (nipple) drinkers. The same is with rabbits that have recently been born. In this case, each owner should know how to teach a rabbit to a drinker.
The most effective option is to introduce the animal to how the device works. When the rabbit is sitting in a cage, the owner must press a finger on the nipple. The drops of water remaining on the fingers must be shown to the rabbit: let him smell them or lick them. A similar procedure is recommended three to four times. The main thing is to be patient. Sooner or later, the animal will want to drink and, following the owner’s example, will begin to put its tongue on the ball in an effort to get water. Now the accustomed rabbit will quench his thirst, skillfully using a nipple drinker.
Permanent access to water is very important for the normal functioning of all organisms. Do-it-yourself drinking bowls for rabbits will provide the animals with the necessary amount of liquid, while they will be more reliable than the purchased ones and will last longer.