A rabbit feeder is a necessary element in the interior of the cage. Having a good feeder ensures animal nutrition hygiene and helps to save feed. For each type of feed, animals need feeders of their own design, for different ages. different capacities, so there must be a large number of different containers for food in the arsenal of the breeder. As a rule, to reduce the cost of organizing a farm, livestock farmers make do-it-yourself feeders for rabbits.
Before buying or self-manufacturing, you should understand what requirements are presented to feeders:
- It should be convenient both for eating food by animals and for serving by a livestock breeder. The design should provide for easy removal, cleaning and disinfection.
- The volume of the container should be a quarter more than the one-time volume of the feed to be laid. This prevents the animals from being thrown out of the feeder.
- Components must not injure animals. There should be no sharp edges or burrs on the restrictive rails that the rabbits can get hurt.
- Rabbits are very agile and have a small body size. A food container should freely pass the animal’s head, but block the spread of food in the paws of animals.
- Before self-production of a feed tank, it is necessary to calculate the cost of the structure and find out the economic benefits of a home-made structure.
- Rabbits must always nibble something during their life for normal functioning of the body. A feeder constantly located in the cage is an excellent object for grinding rodent incisors. Therefore, the food container should be made of materials that ensure long operation.
The type of feeder depends on what kind of food is laid in it. It is very important to have in rabbitry a full range of dishes for all types of feed. The following varieties are distinguished:
- liquid feed feeders. Differ in tightness of a design and small volumes. Drinking bowls can be used as such feeders;
- capacities for root crops. Differ in large volume;
- feeders under the hay. They are a lattice structure, often hung from the outside of the cell.
By design, the feeders differ in:
Each of them has its own characteristics, and is designed for its type of feed.
The purpose of bunker models is the feeding of animals with bulk feed: grain or grain granules. The livestock breeder can immediately fill a large amount of feed into the feed hopper, which is automatically fed into the tray as it is eaten. Food is consumed gradually and very economically. Bunkers are made of plastic, boards, plywood or tin, hang both inside and outside the cage.
Designed for grass, hay or twig feed. They are made of mesh, metal bars, PVC pipes, wooden battens. Nursery constructions are installed both inside and outside the cage. There are cell designs with built-in nurseries.
They are universal and suitable for all bulk and liquid feeds. This type of feeders can be used to put cereals, mixers, grain, granular mixed fodder, crushed root crops, and also can be used as drinking bowls. They are made of wood, metal, sewer pipes. Advantages: ease of manufacture, the ability to simultaneously feed several animals, and the ability to extract from the cage for washing and disinfection.
Self-made food troughs
For the independent manufacture of feeders, the following tools are used:
- a marking tool is used to mark the material. The marking tool includes: pencil, marker, square, tape measure, ruler, scriber;
- scissors for metal are necessary for the manufacture of structures made of tin;
- carpentry tool. It includes a jigsaw, a planer, a circular saw;
- drilling tool. It includes a drill or screwdriver, a set of drills, hardware.
Naturally, for the manufacture of any particular home-made product, not the entire set will be required, but the more tools on the farm, the easier, faster and easier it is to work.
The bunker is intended for feeding rabbits with grain or dry compound feed.
For its manufacture, a building U-shaped profile is required with a width of 100 mm and a height of 40 mm.
- According to the drawing, markup is carried out. For marking on a metal profile, it is better to use a marker.
- Drills with a diameter of 7-8 millimeters are drilled holes in the lower zone to place feed. The holes are drilled evenly throughout the lower zone.
- The contour of the details is cut out with metal scissors, the burrs are removed with a file at the edges of the cuts.
- Using a small bar as a mandrel with a hammer and pliers, the structures are given the necessary shape.
- Finally, the feeder is assembled on exhaust rivets using a rivet.
- For hanging in a cage, fasteners are fixed on the back wall.
Galvanized sheet hopper
It is intended for feeding rabbits with granular compound feed, grain or topping. For its manufacture, a sheet of thin galvanized iron is taken.
- Using a square and a marker or scriber, a design pattern is drawn on a sheet of metal.
- Structural elements are cut out on the drawn lines. The burrs and sharp edges of the cuts are removed with a file.
- Using a mandrel and a hammer, the parts are bent along the intended lines.
- The resulting individual structural elements are interconnected by rivets. For convenience, during the connection, the parts are fixed with small clamps or a manual vice.
- For hanging in a cage, fasteners are fixed on the rear wall of the hopper.
Suitable for feeding rabbits with granular feed, grain or topping. For its manufacture take any cylindrical container of thin iron. As such a capacity, you can use a large can of coffee, jam or a bucket from under Chupa-Chupsov.
- 3 cm away from the bottom of the can at ½ circumference of the can make a cut.
- From the ends of the cut vertically draw lines to the neck of the can. Further along the lines the metal is cut off.
- A cut piece of metal with a mallet is spread on the anvil, making it flat.
- A flat piece of metal is applied to the remaining half of the can. The protruding edges of the piece bend and rivet.
- For hanging from the back of the hopper hooks or fasteners are attached.
Making a Maklyakov feeder
The bunker invented by the farmer Eugene Maklyakov has two independent compartments for feed and is designed for the simultaneous loading of up to 15 kilograms of feed or grain.
For its manufacture, plywood with a thickness of 5 mm, boards with a thickness of 20 mm, galvanized sheet with a thickness of 1-2 mm, fine-mesh mesh with dimensions of 45 by 25 cm, as well as furniture hinges for the lid will be required. Details of the hopper are connected by self-tapping screws. To protect the elements from gnawing, protruding wooden parts are covered with a perforated construction tin corner (a little more than a meter of the corner is required to protect the entire hopper).
To make a hopper, you must do:
- Marking is applied to the material, then the details are cut out or cut out with scissors for metal, burrs are removed and sharp edges are smoothed out.
- A perforated angle is pumped onto wooden parts, then the parts are screwed up according to the assembly drawing.
- The assembled hopper is hung on the wall of the cage.
Making a feeder Zolotukhin
The famous rabbit breeder Nikolai Ivanovich Zolotukhin has been engaged in the construction of cages and animal feeders for many years. The bunker of its design is built into the door of the cage, so it does not take up much space. The feed is placed outside the cage.
The bunker is made of sheet metal and boards. Its width depends on the width of the cell door.
Hopper manufacturing procedure:
- Side panels are cut out of wood according to the drawing.
- The tin sheet is bent in the form of the letter U and nailed to the sidewalls.
- In the middle of the feeder, a grid is installed to limit the access of animals to the feed.
- A cutout is made in the cage door, into which a feeder is inserted and attached.
- To prevent animals from injuring, sharp parts of the structure are smoothed.
There are many options for making flute feeders.
From the sewer pipe
In the side of the sewer pipe with a diameter of 110 mm, rectangular or oval holes are cut with a jigsaw. Plugs are installed on the ends of the pipe. From the back of the pipe, hooks are hung on rivets for hanging on the side wall of the cage.
An oblong wooden box is knocked together from the boards. In order to prevent animals from climbing inside and scattering food, a wire fence is installed on top of the crate.
From a plastic bottle
The simplest feeder can be made in just five minutes from a half liter bottle of soda or beer. To do this, use a clerical knife in the side of the bottle to cut a rectangular hole for filling the feed. Next, the design is screwed to the cell wall with screws.
I have been engaged in rabbit breeding for a long time, I keep more than fifty animals. For each cage I have two feeding troughs. a small groove for feed and mixes and a nursery for hay. Feeders suspended and easily removable. I made the groove feeders from empty bottles, the nursery from wooden slats. For each animal age, feeders of their size are hung, so a large number of feeders are made.
There are many design options for self-manufacturing. The breeder can choose any of them to his taste, based on his needs, the availability of tools and materials. The main thing is not to forget that the feeder should be convenient and safe for animals.