What are rabbit feeders?
During the day animals come for food from twenty-five to thirty times. Therefore, feed equipment should be convenient and always clean. The following types of feeders are distinguished:
Rabbit feeder requirements
Do-it-yourself construction must be such that it meets the following requirements:
- It was comfortable and accessible to animals. Pets from the container should be easy to get and do not scatter or scatter them.
- The surface of the product should be without sharp corners and protrusions, which animals can hurt.
- The design should be easy to clean and disinfect.
- Make it should be quite high or closed so that the animals do not climb into the container with their paws.
- The inventory is made roomy, which is convenient for the farmer who does not have to refill the feed several times a day.
- When keeping a large number of animals, a long and rather voluminous container is needed, which several pets can approach at the same time.
- The design should be made of high-quality, but inexpensive materials, so that as a result it turns out at a cost cheaper than the purchase.
How to make a rabbit feeder?
With your own hands you can make designs of different types, but the most optimal and convenient option for both animals and the farmer is a bunker feeder.
Making a bunker feeder for rabbits
This type of design can be made in two versions.
Galvanized iron hopper feeder
From sheets of iron, you can make a container of any size, after sketching a drawing. Necessary materials and tools:
- According to the required dimensions and drawings, the side and rear walls, the front part, the pallet, the lid, and the limiters that will hold the feed are cut out of iron using special scissors. A door is needed if the animals are kept outdoors.
- All elements have sharp edges, and then with a hammer, scissors and a mallet they need to be cut and bent according to the marking.
- Drills are drilled in the places where rivets will be installed.
- All parts are joined with rivets. First, a pallet with a stop is assembled, to which the side and rear walls are attached. The front wall and cover are the last to be installed.
The feed design is ready. Now you can install it and adjust the corners if necessary.
Tin can hopper feeder
If the farm has a fairly large tin can, then from it using scissors for metal and a drill you can make a convenient feed container.
Stages of work:
- The can is thoroughly washed, cleaned and dried beforehand.
- With scissors, the bank is cut in half lengthwise so that seven centimeters remain untouched to its bottom. The back of the tank remains untouched, and in front of the part you need to cut it to get a recess.
- The edges of the container are processed and deburred. They must not be sharp so that the animals are not injured.
- Using a drill, the bottom of the can is drilled. There should be several openings of such a size that the feed could spill out of them.
- The edges of the upper cut off part of the can are bent, after which this element is installed inside the part with a drilled bottom.
- The upper part to the back wall is fastened with screws, and the structure is mounted on the wall of the cage or manger.
Feed is poured into the container, which will come from the narrow part after the wide bowl is empty.
With your own hands you can make a structure similar to a manger, which will be filled with hay and grass. Its base can be made of any materials, and on the side from which the animals will take feed, grid or mesh is installed.
Necessary materials and tools:
- grill from an old refrigerator or MDF;
- hammer and screwdriver or screwdriver;
- nails or screws;
- scissors for metal;
- tin sheet;
- sheets of plywood.
- A hay feeder or a haystack should correspond to the size of the doors. Therefore, on plywood, you need to make markings for the size of the doors.
- Using a hacksaw, two side walls are cut and grooves are cut.
- The side parts are interconnected by a bar, which is attached to them from above on self-tapping screws.
- The front part of the structure is cut out of tin and attached to the side.
- Rabbits will get grass and hay from the back, for which a grate is used. It needs to be sized and installed near the grooves.
After the sennik is ready, it can be attached to the walls of the cage.
Zolotukhin’s feeding trough
Convenient universal design that can be filled with your favorite type of feed. Such inventory is easy to maintain and easy to make with your own hands.
The feeder will be attached to the door from the outside of the cage, which makes it easy to clean and fill it with feed. Completed such an inventory may be galvanized iron or planks and mesh.
Necessary materials and tools:
- Two walls should be cut from the board and a recess should be made in them, to which a partition will be attached in the form of a metering grid. Through this net rabbits will get food that they cannot spill.
- By the size of the door, a part is cut out of a sheet of metal, which must be bent in half.
- A board is prepared for the front wall, which, together with the sidewalls, is attached to the sheet.
- A mesh is installed in the prepared grooves of the side wooden parts.
- The design is attached to the cage. To do this, install it in the door slot and drive one nail into the side elements.
The result is a feeder that can be rotated, which is very convenient when adding feed and cleaning the structure.
Drinking bowls for rabbits
Animals should always have free and clean water, which is poured into convenient drinking bowls. Rabbits are distinguished by the fact that their paws begin to hurt when they are in damp for a long time. Therefore set for these pets should be such containers that the animals can not turn over.
Types of drinking bowls for rabbits:
- Cup containers in the form of a tin can or bowl are simply installed on the floor. But their animals are often turned over, as a result of which the floor in the cells becomes wet. Therefore, farmers try not to use such devices.
- Vacuum is a bottle of water, which is installed upside down on a container. The bottom of the bottle has an open neck, from which water gradually flows into the cup.
- Automatic watering systems are used on farms where a large number of rabbits are kept. Water enters the tank through a pipeline that is connected to a large tank. The bowls are equipped with floats, which sink to the bottom as the water decreases. As soon as the float drops, the tank is filled with liquid. As a result, pets are always provided with fresh and clean water.
- Nipple drinkers are considered the most convenient and practical. Closed containers are equipped with a special nipple, on which animals knock with their tongue and receive water. In nipple devices, water always remains clean and does not spill. When the rabbits drink, the liquid does not spill, but flows directly into their mouth. Such drinkers are also convenient in that they can easily provide animals with vitamins and medicines.
DIY nipple drinkers
Having prepared in advance everything necessary for the manufacture of the structure, a nipple drinker can be made in just a few minutes.
- The bottom of the bottle should be cut so that it is convenient to wash, and so that no vacuum is formed inside the container.
- In the cork with the help of an office knife, you need to make a hole. Its diameter should be two centimeters smaller than the diameter of the nipple nozzle.
- A rubber gasket is cut, which is installed so as to seal the connection. You can check whether water will leak and if there is a leak, then the gap is sealed with glue or sealant.
- A drinking bowl with a nipple is attached to the cell wall using a wire. It should be installed in such a way that it is convenient for rabbits to drink, and to add water to the owner and wash the container.
One bottle of water is enough for several rabbits. If there are a lot of animals, then you can make a design by installing the required number of nipples in a hose that connects to a large tank.
Good nutrition and fresh water in the public domain are key to rabbit health. Therefore, they should take food and drink from convenient and safe feeders and drinkers, which can be quite easily done with your own hands.