Rabbit feeders can be classified according to two criteria: design features and the material from which the product is made. A variety of devices allows each rabbit breeder to find the best option for himself. The farmer can purchase a factory feeding trough or, using his experience, make a convenient design on his own. A do-it-yourself feeder for rabbits is always more convenient and practical. This article describes the most common types of feeders. Information is also provided on how to make a rabbit feeder yourself.
Types of feeders
Animals often overturn such a design and scatter the contents, giving the breeder additional chores for replacing feed and cleaning.
The device optimizes feeding rabbits with green food, and is also suitable for hay. If desired, the product is either attached to the wall of the pen or placed inside it. The nursery is designed so that rabbits do not have the opportunity to scatter grass on the floor. This saves the room space and the owner’s strength in cleaning the cage. The product is usually made of wood and equipped with a grill.
In the manufacture and installation of nurseries, it is necessary to ensure access to feed for all animals.
This is a universal design for any type of feed, which will not be difficult to produce. Several items may be suitable for the product at the same time. Therefore, groove feeders are used both in individual cells and in joint ones. For their manufacture, metal or plastic is suitable.
Bunker feeders for rabbits are widespread among rabbit breeders, as they have many advantages:
- Suitable for both bulk and granular feed.
- The feed is automatically dosed.
- The design does not allow rabbits to scatter and trample food.
- It is enough to replenish stocks once a week.
- Suitable for use with a large number of livestock.
Cup feeders are also used for watering animals. Ready-made dishes are plastic and metal. To make a feeder for rabbits with your own hands, you can use a tin can, a plastic water pipe, clay and concrete. Suitable for bulk or granular feed.
Making various designs with your own hands
Hopper Type Feeders
Any breeder who has a drill, a tool for cutting metal and a can in his arsenal can make a feeder for rabbits with his own hands.
- Clean the jar and cut along, leaving 7 cm from the bottom.
- Get two halves, one of which must be cut.
- The cut-off part must be installed in the middle of the structure at the place of the cut, attaching it to the rear.
- Holes for the feed are drilled in the bottom.
- Sharp edges are necessarily processed and bent to avoid injuries.
- Then it is necessary to fix the feeder by attaching it with screws to the cage.
- The feed is poured into the narrow part of the product, from where it will be dosed to enter the bowl.
A galvanized iron sheet can make a bunker feeder for rabbits of any size. Before procuring materials, it is better to make a design drawing or use ready-made drawings from the Internet.
Then, in accordance with the required dimensions, the details of the future feeder are prepared:
- Front part;
- Back wall;
- Cover (when kept outdoors);
- Limiters to prevent feed spillage.
The resulting structural elements are notched and bent, sharp edges are processed.
Assembly begins with the pallet and stops, after which the rear and side walls, and then the front part, are attached to them with the help of screws.
Making a groove feeder
Homemade feeders in the form of a gutter can be made from various improvised materials: wood, plastic, metal. The product can be made from a plastic bottle, profile or sewer pipe. This design is convenient for feeding vegetables and tops.
In order to adapt the pipe (optimal diameter 15 cm), it is necessary to cut it in half and attach the sidewalls and hooks.
Wooden rabbit feeders
You can make feeders from wood. The first version of the wood feeder is a simple design of eight edged boards 25 mm thick.
Four boards will be used to make the bottom, to which 4 walls are attached with screws. The assembled product should be square in shape with sides of 40-50 cm. Such a feeder is suitable for hay and solid food.
The second option is a hopper or nursery feeder, which are made according to the same principle.
- The back wall and side parts are cut from plywood sheet.
- The resulting parts are attached to each other using screws or nails.
- In a similar way, the opening cover of the product is made.
- A hay box is attached to the light wall of the cage from the outside, so that rabbits can easily get hay.
Simple plastic bottle feeder
Such a feeder is suitable for grain feed, it is necessary to replenish it daily. The main advantage of this design is the minimum time and material costs. You will need a plastic eggplant, a marker and a paint knife.
With the help of a marker, marking is performed, along which a hole is cut. The head of the rabbit should freely pass into this hole.
The product is suitable for feeding young rabbits, and it can also serve as a temporary source of food.
A plastic bottle is also suitable for making DIY drinkers for rabbits.
Zolotukhin’s feeding trough
Most rabbit breeders prefer N. Zolotukhin’s invention. Such popularity is due to the presence of the following structural advantages:
- Ease of manufacture.
- Convenience of service.
- Versatility. it is possible to supply both large feed and grain.
- Practicality. the food is protected from spreading and contamination.
- Save space in the pen due to the fact that the product is mounted on the outside.
To make the feeder, you need 2.5 mm thick boards, galvanizing and mesh.
- Two boards are cut out from the boards, 40 cm long, in which a recess is made to fix the mesh.
- Galvanized sheet is cut according to the size of the cell. The sheet bends at an angle.
- The resulting parts are attached to each other.
- In place of the front wall, a board is attached.
- A mesh stop is attached to the sides.
- The resulting product is hung on the door and fixed with two nails, so that the feeder rotates easily.
This design has an additional partition function. To make it, you will need:
- Wooden planks. 5 pcs.
- Nippers, hammer and nails.
- The basis of the product is a wooden board 10-15 cm wide. 4 side panels 40 cm long and 3 parts for the top and back wall of 50 cm each are sawn from it.
- The grid is cut into 2 rectangles 40X30 cm in size.
- A piece in the form of the letter "P" is made from the bars.
- Parts of the product are interconnected.
- The second letter “P” is assembled and attached to the first at an angle of 45 °.
- The grid, the front wall, the rear wall and the side walls, the pallet and the limiter join the walls.